RIP, Barney Fife (Don Knotts passes, 81)

blue2blue

• Members

They did a nice tribute last night on Larry King...they reran an episode where both Andy Griffith and Don Knotts were reminiscing about the old days.

Mr. Knotts was a regular visitor to Kansas City. He really liked (so he said in a newspaper interview) performing in one of the dinner theaters here.

I was always "gonna go see him". Never did. :(

Rest easy, and thanks for the laughs!!!

• Members

What I always thought was cool was that Barney's girlfriend through much of his part of the series, Thelma Lou, was way more cute and sexy than a guy like Barney would have ever got on any other show (Cuter and sexier than Sherriff Andy's girlfriend, even. Part of Andy Griffith's fabled generosity, I'm figuring. He also gets near-saint status for featuring the Dillards on a number of shows as "the Darling family.")

I was especially moved by the 'high school reunion" where Knotss made a guest star appearance after having left the show some time before. Barney's finally made something of himself, an investigator in the state attorney's office (if I recall correctly) and he's coming back on the occasion of their 20th high school reunion to finally pop the question to Thelma.

Thelma Lou comes in and for a moment it looks like the old magic is there... but then her fiance, a tall, handsome lawyer, comes in...

I wrote this song about it and posted it in my daily song blog a couple months ago (I'll probably be redoing it for today's post):

Thelma Lou

ThelmaLou.jpg

• Members

I think most of us can identify in some way with Barney, Charlie Brown, or anyone of that status, more than they can with the tall, handsome lawyer. That was part of the show...what drew me in, anyway. We wanted Barney to get Thelma Lou, Charlie Brown to get the little red haired girl...

Life is often not like that. They didn't get the girls. And in that, a lot of us saw ourselves.

But, Barney (Luther) did get the girl in "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken"...matter of fact, he stole her from the handsome reporter.

To quote Tom Petty, "Even the losers get lucky sometimes".

:thu: on the song!

• Moderators

Cool tune Blue.

I always loved the scene in The Ghost and Mister Chicken where Don Knotts' character has to give a speech to the town because of his heroics going into the haunted house which is all a sham and misunderstanding. He is so nervous, he keeps repeating the same line, shaking. All the things that only Don Knott's could do that way. Eyes bugging out as a guy keeps shouting out every 30 seconds or so... "Atta boy Luther!".

See ya Don.

• Members

I'll have to catch The Ghost and Mr Chicken... 1966... I guess at 15 (please do not do the math, no one must know my precise age, I must remain mysterious) I was already too cynical to go see that one...

No problem there, today... cynical yes. Sappy and sentimental: you bet.

He doesn't have a huge role in it, but Don's part in No Time for Sergeants shows a slightly different side of his bug-eyed personna range and it's a great role. As I understand it, it was during the run of that play that Andy and Don became pals.

• Members

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I remember him throughout many of his shows and enjoyed all that I saw him play in. He was a true blue comedian; one of the best.

Although I liked him on the Andy Griffith Show and in Three's Company, there are two movies that really stood out....

The Incredible Mr. Limpet made in 1964 where he turns into an animated fish :thu: (one of my all time favorite animated movies and right up there with the top notch Disney stuff)

... and then, The Shakiest Gun in the West where he was a gunfighter.

A great loss to the world of entertainment; his memory will live on for decades and maybe even centuries to come.

RIP Mr. Limpet :wave:

• Moderators

Originally posted by Ani

The Incredible Mr. Limpet made in 1964 where he turns into an animated fish
:thu:
(one of my all time favorite animated movies and right up there with the top notch Disney stuff)

RIP Mr. Limpet
:wave:

My fish named Mr. Limpet died a year ago. I should have known this was coming. Man, I went on a campaign to show my 7 year old (at the time) daughter that movie. I couldn't find it anywhere. She knew the story by me telling it to her and I kept promising to find it... Netflix to the rescue. She loved it. I loved it again. The Brit wife loved it ("you've never see Limpet?!?!?!). Lee Loves Limpet.

DAS LIMPET!

• Members

Don Knots has obviously been a major inspiration to all of the over zealous and incompetent cops, sheriffs, MPs and security guards all over the world.

Abu Grahib's Lindye England with the cigarette in her mouth and her thumbs up sign in that famous photo-that's the Don Knotts in her.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Hard Truth

Abu Grahib's Lindye England with the cigarette in her mouth and her thumbs up sign in that famous photo-that's the Don Knotts in her.

Whoa. That is some off the wall thinking there... in a good way. But still, whoa.

Anyway... how 'bout that Limpet?:eek:

• Members

Yeah... I'm pretty well positive Barney Fife wouldn't torture prisoners.

(In fact, one of my favorite episodes has him and Floyd the barber taken hostage by some tough convicts who've just broken out of a women's prison. Barney and FLoyd end up dancing with them... )

Anyhow, I'll have to check out Mr Limpet again. I think I saw it as a kid but I was probably already getting too grown up to properly enjoy it.

Not a problem now... :D

• Members

Originally posted by TrancedelicBlues

:cry:

I loved that guy. Didn't know him personall, but loved him.

They show 2 episodes of
Andy Griffith
every afternoon where I live, and Don Knotts
still
touches me.

The same two episodes every day?

Damn... I hope one of them is "The Darling Baby" -- I love that one. (It's the one with the Dillards where "Charleen" sings "There Is a Time" which I actually prefer to the proper album version. I really like the part where, after a particularly nice passage of the song, Andy, who often plays along with the Dillards/Darlings just stops playing -- with what looks like a look of rapture on his face as he watches Charleen sing and the boys play.

Archived