Ampeg Classic or SVT2PRO...Opinions Needed

SevenDayBass

• Members

Ok so I am having a problem deciding if I should get an Ampeg Classic or SVT2PRO to round out my setup. The 2pro seems to have a little more option but is there maybe just a little more prestige in owning a classic? Also would the classic be a lot more just plug and play and not have to tweek every time you turn it on? Some opinions please. Need some help with this one.

• Members

I own the CL Anniversary (which is the same as the CL) and love it. When it comes time to upgrade though, I think I will go to the SVT II Pro, for the Graphic and rackmountability - Hahah what an awesome word
:D

I also liked that the SVT-CL stacked nicely on my classic series cab (versus a rack thrown on top or beside).

• Members

I'd be using it for a Hard Rock/Metal band and the Classic i'm interested in actually comes in a live-in with a 4 space rack. With my current head It seems like i'm constantly messing with settings when i change basses even though i'm using 2 ernie ball musicman stingrays with teh same electronics.

• Members

I'd be using it for a Hard Rock/Metal band and the Classic i'm interested in actually comes in a live-in with a 4 space rack. With my current head It seems like i'm constantly messing with settings when i change basses even though i'm using 2 ernie ball musicman stingrays with teh same electronics.

Stingray through an SVT II Pro :love:

• Members

the thing I liked about the 2 Pro was that you can turn the gain up super high, but leave the Drive down low and you still get the sound of overdriven preamp tubes, but you don't get grit or distortion... or maybe it was reversed... drive all the way up with gain low... idk... either way, it was sex

• Members

I never liked the CL, but I loved the 2 Pro. To me, they sound completely different. The CL sounds really boring to me, almost generic.

In other words, opinions vary, let your ears decide.

The CL never did anything for me. I liked the flexibility of the 2 Pro, liked the rackmount design, loved that I could be loud and clean or have easily controllable distortion at any volume. It does have more knobs. You don't have to mess with them constantly; set them for the sound you like and leave them alone. If you want "plug and play" set everything in the middle, that sounded good on mine. I can't offer you any prestige advice, I suppose that depends on who you're looking to impress. I'd rather have an amp that sounded impressive and not worry about what anybody thought of the model name.

Archived