Endpin Tightening on Martin Aura OOOGTE16

larosity

• Members

I had this problem just today and, after reading some older solutions on this forum realize I could do this simply and without any extra tools or high cost. It was stated that there was no tightening screw on the internal endpin of the Martin Aura, an inaccurate statement. So, in order to tighten the internal nut, which is larger than the external endpin nut, you must remove the endpin and tighten it by hand before replacing it. You will find it near impossible to do if you have large hands, which was my problem, so here is the easy way. Unscrew the external endpin strap nut an you will see that Martin has placed a hole in the enpin threads. Cut a very long thin wire, I used telephone copper wire, make it very long so you don't lose it inside the guitar body. carefully remove the tightening nut and washer from the external endpin, do not let the endpin slip into the body or it becomes impossible to retrieve. Quickly thread the wire through the endpin hole and form a large loop. Now reach inside the body after loosening the strings and grab the endpin wire, it will come out freely and you will see the internal endpin nut which has loosened. Hand tighten the nut until it almost reaches the external enpin thread, dont' let it slip onto the thinner thread. When it is in the place you want it take a piece of electrical tape or a drop of locktite or any fast drying glue and place it up against the inner nut bottom thread to secure it against future loosening. Now put the endpin back into the guitar body and pull it through the endpin hole with the wire. Carefully slip the wire out of the hole without letting the pin slip into the body and replace the washer, hold a toothpick or pencil eraser against the external pin to prevent it from slipping and carefully secure the external endpin nut onto the thread and tighten. Now screw the strap nut back on and tighten. DONE!

I know it is long winded but it is very simple to do and I wanted to give you step by step accurate info. Hope this helps someone as it did me!

• Members

That hole has a second function - you can insert a small rod (I use a small allen wrench) thru the hole and use it to hold the jack while tightening the nut.

I do enough jack installations that I built a special tool for the job. It is the center part of a phono plug that I brazed onto a long brass rod - I can stick it thru the endpin hole and it will reach the soundhole. Then I push the jack onto the plug and pull it to the tail block, slide the external washers and nut on the brass rod and snug them up. Pull the plug out, insert the allen wrench and tighten the rest of the way.

Archived