Nylon strings: La Bella 850HT v Savarez Alliance

garthman

• Members

I have used La Bella 850HT strings on my nylon string dreadnaught for a few years. These are high tension strings with black trebles and bronze wound bases.

When threads concerning nylon strings come up, Savarez Alliance (also high tension) strings are often well recommended so I decided to try a set on my dred. These strings have silverplated copper wound bases and clear "KF" plastic trebles.

This is what they both sound like (I've tried to make recording conditions as similar as possible):

La Bella 850HT:-

[YOUTUBE]kuuc0f0frLE[/YOUTUBE]

(Some of you may have seen the above clip before - I posted it a few weeks ago to demonstrate what a nylon-strung dred sounded like.)

Savarez Alliance:-

[YOUTUBE]tNNfNFgjPzs[/YOUTUBE]

Both sets of strings are brand new. So, what do you think? Any preferences? BTW, the Savarez Allaince are twice the price of the La Bella (

• Members

I know you like Savarez but I must admit that I prefer the La Bella (just - as people have said, there is very little difference).

I thought the La Bella sounded better, and the Savarez sounded thinner, almostn twangy.

But it looks like you're playing them differently -- on the Savarez clip you're significantly closer to the bridge, which could explain the thinner sound.

• Members

I know you like Savarez but I must admit that I prefer the La Bella (just - as people have said, there is very little difference).

I haven't tried the LaBella strings. And yes, I do like Savarez strings on my classical guitars.

But on your guitar, in your hands, your opinion is the only one that really counts here. :)

• Members

I thought the La Bella sounded better, and the Savarez sounded thinner, almostn twangy.

But it looks like you're playing them differently -- on the Savarez clip you're significantly closer to the bridge, which could explain the thinner sound.

I tried to make the recording and playing positions as similar as possible. I normally pluck the strings just behind the soundhole towards the bridge when playing. I think in the La Bella clip, the guitar is at more of an angle to the camera which maybe makes it look that I'm playing closer to the soundhole.

Anyway, I've added another clip in the original post showing the Savarez strings being played above the soundhole.

• Members

I tried to make the recording and playing positions as similar as possible. I normally pluck the strings just behind the soundhole towards the bridge when playing. I think in the La Bella clip, the guitar is at more of an angle to the camera which maybe makes it look that I'm playing closer to the soundhole.

Anyway, I've added another clip in the original post showing the Savarez strings being played above the soundhole.

That definitely improved the sound of the Savarez.:thu: I think.:confused:

But I still like the La Bella better -- the Savarez have a sharp edge to them that the La Bella don't seem to have.

• Members

But I still like the La Bella better -- the Savarez have a sharp edge to them that the La Bella don't seem to have.

That is why many people like Savarez Alliance trebles on their classical guitars......more zing in the top end because the Alliance trebles are thinner than regular nylon trebles. Now, if your guitar is already bright to start with, that might change the equation.....

• Members

That is why many people like Savarez Alliance trebles on their classical guitars......more zing in the top end because the Alliance trebles are thinner than regular nylon trebles. Now, if your guitar is already bright to start with, that might change the equation.....

Now that's what I would call proof that it's a matter of taste: two people hear the same thing, perceive it the same way, and one says that makes it better and one says it makes it worse.

• Members

Have you tried Savarez 520 p nylon strings? I like the tension and the fact that they have a wound third string. The wound third has a different feel, more like a steel sting, but the tone of a nylon sting.

I have never strung them on a steel string acoustic,only on my nylon string guitars. They may or may not be long enough for your guitar?

Nunzio

• Members

Update:

When I posted the thread yesterday, it was happening "live". I spent an hour or so last night playing the guitar with the new strings and I must admit that I am impressed with the Savarez. I still think the La Bella have a slightly "fuller" sound but the Savarez, I would say, are slightly more "playable".

I think I've mentioned before that I prefer the terms "hard and soft" to the more commonly used "high and low" when discussing the tension of nylon strings. I think that although both sets of strings are "high" tension, the La Bella strings are slightly "harder" than the Savarez and therefore slightly less easy to play.

I hope you understand what I'm talking about here - I suppose it's like using the word "colour" in relation to music.

I suspect that I will revert to using the La Bella 850HT (which, BTW, I understand also come in a clear treble version rather than black - which may be softer - but I haven't yet come across them in the UK) because of the price. I know we pay more over here but $18 equivalent is a lot to pay for a set of strings - and that's online - you could add at least 50% if you bought from a music shop.

PS. I might well replace the Savarez silverplated-copper wound bases with La Bella bronze wound bases in a few weeks but keep the Savarez trebles - might be a nice combination.

• Members

One thing I've noticed about nylon strings, it takes about a week for them to really settle in, stretch-wise and sound-wise. So when I'm trying new strings, I try to reserve judgement until after the first week when they are still coming to equilibrium. I have not always been that patient for strings that I don't like, though. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Update #2:

The Savarez strings have now been on my dreadnaught for two weeks. I haven't played the guitar as often as I usually do - it tends to be my most-played guitar because I use it to work out songs and for routine practice but I've been getting to grips with my new (used) 12 string.

Even so, I noticed today that the silverplate is starting to wear through on the bases. Very disappointing - I've probably only played the guitar for 3 or 4 hours.

So, on balance, I think I will revert to using La Bella 850HT strings - sound just as good as the Savarez (most people thought slightly better), a lot cheaper and much longer lasting.

Archived