Would a Kentucky be a decent first mandolin?

butterknucket

• Members

I got my wife a Kentucky KM 252S or KM 250s or something like that. I think I paid $279.00 for it three years ago. Maybe we got lucky but I bought it because I thought it sounded pretty good for a starter (Not really knowing anything about mandolins). Anyway, we get compliments on it more than you'd think. It's sound is bright, clear and carries nicely in a jam. It doesn't chop as well as most F styles (this being an A), but it makes up for it in tone.

Go figure.

So, I'd say...yes. It is a very good first mandolin.

• Members

For whatever it's worth, I think a Kentucky mandolin would make a great "first" mandolin if you already know a little about playing one. And, in fact, I think I'd buy the "A" style and save some bucks. The basic "A" style Kentucky has a little more volume, IMO, than their "F" style. I'm speaking from experience, here.

If you know nothing about mandolins, I think I'd save even more money and go with a used mando or go online and buy the little black Johnson "A" style. You can get it for well under $75 and get most of your money back if you decide to sell it later on. I had a Johnson and thought it wasn't a bad mandolin at all. It had some nice features, too. All solid wood, full binding, and sounded and played a lot better than you'd expect it to. I've got a little nicer "F" style Rover RM-75 now, that I bought used for cheap, but I also wish I'd kept the little Johnson just for kicks.

Whatever you decide..........good luck with it. They're a lot of fun!!

• Members

Kentuckys are good. In the same price range check out Morgan Monroe's and Michael Kelly's. If you can swing it, get one with a carved solid spruce top. Carved solid A-model will be better than a laminate F.

What he said. I had a 380s Artist model and it was a very nice mando. You can pick em' up for around $350 or a bit less at MF or similar stores. That being said, my MM-30 laminated top Epiphone didn't sound too bad and was about half the price of the Kentucky. If you're really sure that you're going to play then by all means invest in a quality mando, if you just want to give it a try and are not sure then buy something a bit cheaper and see if it's for you or not. That way you're not out a bunch of money if you don't like it. :thu:

Archived