Which Gibson???

TIMP3

• Members

Well I am really dreaming here but.....

I realized a couple of weeks ago that I no longer have any desire to play electric guitar. I have a Martin D16GT (a lifelong dream) and love it. I keep finding myself going back to it over and over.

I am going to sell my small electric rig and use the money to put a down payment on a Gibson Acoustic (another lifelong dream) but want something that will not mimic the Martin. I am thinking Hummingbird or Songwriter but here is the kicker, I am left handed so playing a bunch of guitars and deciding is pretty much out the window.

I do have a trip planned to Nashville in Sept. and am going to try to spend some time at the Gibson store but was just wandering your guys opinions.

Or any other recommendations on guitars that have a nice deep low end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

^^^^

dream but not stuck on.

What others would you guys suggest that have that nice deep bass to them.

The J-100 is pretty nice and not excessively pricey. It's the less garish version of the J-200.

If you can live w/ "used", look for one of the mahogany b/s ones from the early 90s...fantastic sounding! :love:

DSCF0005.jpg

• Members

Any preferences as to body-Jumbo, Dred, Orchestra, Parlor?

Body wood? Rosewood, Mahogany, Maple?

Bling quotient? Simple, moderate, fancy?

Scale length?

What is your predominate style-Aggressive Strumming, Fingerstyle, Flatpicking?

DRED, ROSEWOOD, STRUMMING/ FLAT PICKING (MOSTLY STRUMMING), SIMPLE,

sorry for the all caps I am at work

• Members

The J-100 is pretty nice and not excessively pricey. It's the less garish version of the J-200.

If you can live w/ "used", look for one of the mahogany b/s ones from the early 90s...fantastic sounding!
:love:

DSCF0005.jpg

Yea this would be my choice if I were looking for a Gibson acoustic.

Something Jumbo.

Play a lot before you buy. The ones made in the early 1990's are especially good sounding and you might get a deal because they are "old" but not yet considered "vintage".

Gibson had just started up the Montana Division then and they were firing on all cylinders at that time to make a great acoustic guitar that rivaled their 1940-1960's stuff.

These days there are still some good ones to be had but try before you buy because they're a little more hit and miss these days.

I've played a few maple J-100's lying around in GC showrooms that killed the Martins and Taylors. Guild jumbos are a little brighter sounding in comparison. A Gibson jumbo just begs for medium strings and big open postion chords.

Strap one on naked in your bedroom. Strum that big open E chord. Feel the vibrations. Yay.

• Members

If you can live w/ "used", look for one of the mahogany b/s ones from the early 90s...fantastic sounding!

DSCF0005.jpg

That's a nice looking Gibson!

• Members

When I think "Gibson" I automatically thing of the sunburst of the J45. Either that or the wild pickguard of the Hummingbird.

But I would definitely go with the J45...or the Hummingbird.

Definitely the Hummingbird...or the J45.

My suggestion is to play them both and then buy both.

• Members

When I think "Gibson" I automatically thing of the sunburst of the J45. Either that or the wild pickguard of the Hummingbird.

But I would definitely go with the J45...or the Hummingbird.

Definitely the Hummingbird...or the J45.

My suggestion is to play them both and then buy both.

I have dreams but they aren't gold plated!!!:lol:

• Members

DSCF0005.jpg

This is a great guitar, and not just because I have one... Mine is bubinga b/s, and it is fantastic.

BUT... (A) It is discontinued, and they are difficult to find now (especially left-handed) and prices may be higher than they should be used because of the discontinued thing. (B) It's a long scale and you may find it somewhat difficult to play, coming from a mostly electric background. While I love this guitar to death, I'd feel a little uneasy recommending it to someone as a sight-unseen buy.

If it were me, I would hang onto the D-16GT because it is a great guitar and it will keep getting better. And in pursuing a Gibson (I love their acoustics), I would probably go after one of their short-scale, slope-shoulder dreads because they are a frickin' joy to play and NOTHING else on the planet is going to give you that Gibson slope sound. I would go for either a Southern Jumbo, a J-45 or a J-45 Rosewood. The J-45 in Rosewood would probably be the greatest contrast with your Martin, which would be nice for versatility.

Happy hunting!

• Members

Lots of great suggestions here, but the Songwriter Deluxe fits your criteria to a T. You might have a hard time finding a left-handed one though.

Knockwood, I used to have a maple version of the J-100 and loved it, but the Bubinbga versions I've tried have been great as well. Sorry to hear these have been discontinued.

• Members

IMO, and this is subjective, the Songwriter has some of the top end of the Hummingbird, and some of the darker woody intimacy of the J45. IMO it is what I consider to be a very "balanced" sounding guitar and is really worth checking out.

I love mine.

Archived