Martinez 10-string "thing"

Annoying Twit

• Members

The effect of having 10-strings that are tuned to Narciso Yepes tuning is to complete the resonance of the guitar. If you've carefully listened, some notes sound more resonant than others because of sympathetic vibrations. You pluck one note and 1-2 bass strings on the guitar will vibrate as well.

The 6-string guitar provides sympathetic resonance to primarily 4 of 12 notes (D, A, E and B). A 10-string guitar provides equal and full sympathetic resonance to all 12 notes. The effect of playing a 10-string is like playing a piano with a sustain pedal held down constantly.

Experiment:
Play the 2nd treble string open (B) and listen carefully. Then fret the same string on the first fret and play it ©. Did the C note not sound as "full" as the B note? That's because the C note did not generate as much sympathetic resonance from the basses.

This resonance of a 10-string creates a great harp/piano effect but it also can cause problems. Oftentimes, you don't want a note to ring out too much. With a 6-string guitar, you may only need to damp one string. With a 10-string guitar you could have several strings that you'll need to damp.

:mad:

Of course, a 10-string guitar also gives you an expanded range since you now have four lower notes. This works nicely for some baroque pieces. You can also use it to play pieces written for a 10-course lute.

I was given an opportunity to own a 10-stringer but I turned it down because I felt I would need to make too many adjustments. I have enough of a challenge with 6 strings and many of the great players do more than enough with 6.

• Members

I think the various ways to add resonance strings, such as the instrument above and the "harp guitars," are very cool. I've always been surprised that more musicians didn't pick up the challenge of learning to play one. I know it would be way over MY head, but there are plenty of people who could create really amazing music on one.

• Members

In the US I'd agree with Greymuzz. PR Cuatros are about the size of a 3/4 0r 1/2 size guitar, and traditionally (but not necessarily) have violin like C-cuts at the waist. If it's more ukulele sized, it could be a tiple (tee-play).

Archived