Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Carvin M68 Mics - anyone use?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin M68 Mics - anyone use?

Anyone using these? I have an opportunity to pick up 4 for $100. I dont really need them, but they look like good back up mics, and I have always been favorably impressed with carvin...
    Eor sez: You're only going around once, man. Soon enough, your guitar will be placed in a case, too. put some dings on it first.

-STFU, unpucker your tight ass, and relax

-Tartan Who?

Price is right for sure Totamus. If the M68 is still the same as it was when the number was CM68 it's a very good mic and has been my primary stage vocal mic for over 15 years.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Still Kickin' cancer's ass....<br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.bwsvw.org">Blue Water Sailors of the Vietnam War</a><br><br>HCGB Trooper #246<br><br>Psalm 19 Society<br><br><div class="bbcode_quote"><br><div class="quote_container"><br><div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div><br><br>I can't really imagine experiencing the desire for multiple women; one has proven to be taxing enough as it is.<br><br></div><br></div><br></div>Thanks Offy

Comment

Made by Shure...very slightly different housing...most know it as the venerable SM-58 (Yes, the EXACT same mic!).

4 for a C-note? Grab 'em!
      God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

Made by Shure...very slightly different housing...most know it as the venerable SM-58 (Yes, the EXACT same mic!).

4 for a C-note? Grab 'em!

Not exactly the same Terry. While they are reportedly (and probably) made by Shure and are similar, there are differences in sensitivity, frequency response and rated impedence & output.
        On my voice they definitely sound different with the Carvin being a clearer sounding mic with a bit more sparkle and the Carvin is somewhat hotter.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Still Kickin' cancer's ass....<br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.bwsvw.org">Blue Water Sailors of the Vietnam War</a><br><br>HCGB Trooper #246<br><br>Psalm 19 Society<br><br><div class="bbcode_quote"><br><div class="quote_container"><br><div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div><br><br>I can't really imagine experiencing the desire for multiple women; one has proven to be taxing enough as it is.<br><br></div><br></div><br></div>Thanks Offy

Comment

I researched a little and good not find anything definitive. Found another forum where the poster claimed they were made by Nady. The seller is now waffling on the price, so it could go either way (I wont pay over $100). I also have a couple of Shure SM57 mic elements. I wonder if they would be a fit?
          Eor sez: You're only going around once, man. Soon enough, your guitar will be placed in a case, too. put some dings on it first.

-Tartan Who?

Comment

Not exactly the same Terry. While they are reportedly (and probably) made by Shure and are similar, there are differences in sensitivity, frequency response and rated impedence & output.
            On my voice they definitely sound different with the Carvin being a clearer sounding mic with a bit more sparkle and the Carvin is somewhat hotter.

SM-58s, and, indeed, all mics, will vary somewhat in hotness (gain), sensitivity, and frequency response from one example to another, but, these are, indeed, 58s...of the 4 SM-58s and 5 57s I currently own, each has it's individual degree of gain, hotness, sensitivity, and frequency response, as is demonstratable by plugging a cable into a PA channel and changing mics on it from one to the next.

I've owned several of the Carvin mics, over the years, (big-time Carvin PA gear fan! ) and they're the same mic as the SM-58.

BTW, in the past, Fender, Guild, Mosrite and Archer (now Radio Shack), and likely other companies, as well, have offered SM-58s and 57s under their own model designations.

And, again, for 4/$100, that's one sweet deal!

Comment

SM-58s, and, indeed, all mics, will vary somewhat in hotness (gain), sensitivity, and frequency response from one example to another, but, these are, indeed, 58s...of the 4 SM-58s and 5 57s I currently own, each has it's individual degree of gain, hotness, sensitivity, and frequency response, as is demonstratable by plugging a cable into a PA channel and changing mics on it from one to the next.

Yes, any individual mic of a given model number can be different than another due to slight manufactuting tolerance differences, however the specs on the SM58 VS the M68 are different, plain and simple. That means that either the capsule or circuitry in the mics are different, hence not EXACTLY the same, even if the housing is identical.

Comment

Yes, any individual mic of a given model number can be different than another due to slight manufactuting tolerance differences, however the specs on the SM58 VS the M68 are different, plain and simple. That means that either the capsule or circuitry in the mics are different, hence not EXACTLY the same, even if the housing is identical.

Same capsule, too...no reason to argue, as I think we agree that 4/$100 is a sweet deal!

Comment

I have a CM68 that is pretty much mint that I have had as backup. I tried it just to make sure it works but never used it. If you want it, will sell it for $60, including shipping to lower 48.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">:::<br />
                  <br />
                  Bill</div>

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but I have quite a nice selection of mics. The only reason I am somewhat interested in the M68 is the price: 4/$100. I have 3 fairly decent but cheap Audio Technicas that are currently back up mics and thought these would be better, based on my limited experience with Carvin.

-Tartan Who?

Comment

Working...
                    X