Nix and Vex - Love Song (The Cure cover) *all acoustic*

AgileLefty

• Members

Recorded this Saturday night with my boy Joe Vex at his studio. He is in another local band that we have played with a few times.

We did this in a few takes around 1am. I played all the instruments/vocals, and he recorded/mixed it. Came out fairly good I think. Can't wait to bring my whole band up there and get some solid recordings! Any input or criticism is welcomed.

Hopefully this link works ...

http://soundcloud.com/nick-russell-6...-song-the-cure

• Members

Sounds nice. I love the song, and the production on this is great - the percussion is appropriately subdued (and the cymbal washes are perfect). Great harmonies and nice playing throughout. My one and only criticism is that I don't like the very last chord - I think it should be a 6th or something?

Wish my stuff sounded this nice!

• Members

I was shocked to learn that my wife had never heard that song before Adele's version came out. So I downloaded some Cure and they were about all she'd listen to for a month! Consequently, I'm a little toasted on the song right now.

If I had one recommendation it would be to find other chord inversions for the guitar. Or even better, a figure or motif to play instead of the raw changes. As it is, for me this version starts to sound too recognizably "Watchtower-ish" with all that repetitive strumming. Strumming that would be fine for either a solo take, or a more Americana-styled rendition. With this song, and plenty of available tracks, more counterpoint would sound more better.

Archived