Classic Vibe Duo Sonic Neck vs Tele

won730

• Members

I bought Squier Classic Vibe Duo Sonic and Tele last month. I have some questions...

1. It is obvious that the neck on CV Tele is yellow-er than that of Duo Sonic... is there any difference between the two? I don't think it is the matter of this unit but rather the whole series... why is the neck of CV Duo Sonic lighter in color?

2. Is the pickup on CV Duo Sonic in "Series" when in the middle position? I've heard that the original 1956 Duo Sonic has it as "series" when in middle position... Is it true?

3. When was the last Classic Vibe Duo Sonic produced? I hear that it's either 2011 or 2012... I want to know for sure...

Thanks!

I bought Squier Classic Vibe Duo Sonic and Tele last month. I have some questions...

1. It is obvious that the neck on CV Tele is yellow-er than that of Duo Sonic... is there any difference between the two? I don't think it is the matter of this unit but rather the whole series... why is the neck of CV Duo Sonic lighter in color?

Because Squier decided not to tint the neck or use a shaded clear coat on the Duo Sonic. It's an aesthetic (and probably cost cutting) decision on Squier's part. Some people like more yellowed necks, and some like them looking more like plain wood. Personally I prefer the former - YMMV.

2. Is the pickup on CV Duo Sonic in "Series" when in the middle position? I've heard that the original 1956 Duo Sonic has it as "series" when in middle position... Is it true?

I don't think they did the pickups in series on the Classic Vibe Duo Sonic - or on the 50s originals either, for that matter. It's probably parallel, although that could be re-wired for series if it's that important to you.

3. When was the last Classic Vibe Duo Sonic produced? I hear that it's either 2011 or 2012... I want to know for sure...

I'm going strictly from memory here, but I'm pretty sure they were discontinued in 2011, and you could still occasionally find them NOS in some stores as late as 2012. But if you want to know for certain, you can always call Fender and ask them. :idea::)

• Members

The duo Sonics were actually wired in series like the Daneletro's were. The switch would short out one pickup or the other.

This was done for costs reasons. The slider switches were like 25 cents instead of $1 for the rotary Tele/Strat switches or the reed switches used in Gibson's.

The only difference is how the impedance changes. Series the impedance doubles, parallel it cuts in half. How much of a difference that makes in tone is questionable. I suppose it depends on the amp and pedals you use. I've swapped wiring on many Fenders like Strats from parallel to series and didn't hear much of a difference.

On the other hand I do have a 4 way switch in my Tele and the series position produces a hotter drive tone. The parallel is brighter and cleaner compared to the series wiring. The series has more gain to drive circuits but that drive comes at the cost of having a more muddy tone.

If yours is wired for series you could wire it for parallel using the same switch or vice versa. Personally I'd just use it as the factory set it up.

[img2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for fender duo sonic wiring","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"565","width":"734","src":"http:\/\/www.shortscale.org\/wiki\/images\/3\/31\/Duosonic1.jpg"}[/img2]

[img2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for fender duo sonic wiring","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"389","width":"734","src":"http:\/\/www.davidmorrin.com\/_\/rsrc\/1426855984996\/home\/trouble\/guitar-tech\/pickup-wiring\/series-wiring\/2pu%20series.png"}[/img2]

• Members

So the stock Squier Classic Vibe Duo Sonic is "parallel" in middle position and the vintage, original ones back in the 50s were set in series for middle?

If I were to change parallel to series, do I need a new switch that is "on-off-on"?

So the stock Squier Classic Vibe Duo Sonic is "parallel" in middle position and the vintage, original ones back in the 50s were set in series for middle?

If I were to change parallel to series, do I need a new switch that is "on-off-on"?

Yeah, it looks like I was mistaken - some of the models from the 50s did use series wiring, but by the time of the II series (mid 1964) they're definitely using parallel wiring. Yes, you'll need an on/off/on switch if you want to change over to series wiring.

Archived