Gibson Les Paul Studio...worth it?

shooto

• Members

...or are they crap?

I'm jonesin' for a LP- last time I was in GC I tried a few Gibsons (standard, explorer and an SG) and I wasn't impressed at all- really shoddy workmanship...the Epis they had were made better- certainly not worth the $1500-$2000 they are being sold for-

so, is my experience unique or is Gibson quality REALLY going down?

I 'm thinking of waiting for an older (player) model to pop up when I have the money...are older ones better quality?- thing is, I really want one in classic white, standards don't come in classic white but standards are supposed to be better than studios...my only other option is a custom, but $2500-$3000 on a guitar? no way-

is an older studio worth it?

• Members

You gotta play 'um. I had a flawless '90 studio that weighed nearly 12 pounds and had the sonic qualities of overcooked spaghetti! I now have this beat up '04 that just sings. You would never guess they were both off the same assembly line!

• Members

Gibsons are definitely a try-before-you-buy proposition. I like my LP Studio but I had to do a lot of work (pickup and electronics swap, new nut) before it was gig-worthy.

Hit the used shops and try out a bunch. You might find one that really sings.

• Members

I would personally get a used LP Classic. I like them a lot, and you can find them used for about as much as a new studio. Sorry to be a dick, but I just don't like Les Pauls without binding. Les Pauls are supposed to be pretty, it's part of their appeal to me. Although, that Studio Premium Plus is pretty, it costs a lot more than a regular studio.

• Members

Surprised no one has thrown the Edwards name out there. I don't know if you're a floater from another section of Harmony Central, but if you haven't heard of Edwards, search for them on Ebay. They are almost exact LP copies (made by ESP Japan) from Japan and no LP Studio I've ever played has compared to them. Edwards are great guitars and there are a lot of Edwards fanatics on HCEG. They run about the same as an LP Studio too, but you have to order them straight from Japan as they would get sued if they were sold here.

• Members

I bought a 2004 Les Paul Studio brand new and It's been wonderful.

The only thing that separates this guitar from the standard or the custom models (which can go for $3000+) is the binding.

The pickups are the same (498T, 490R) and the price tag is almost one third of the custom's price.

Although when it comes down to it you're paying for the brand name.

Like thrashmetl said, there are plenty of other models styled like the les paul that will hold their own.

• Members

yes they are worth it, they sound nice and will last a lifetime, maybe try to find a used one, I think 700-800 should get you something very nice, I think you should play one first though, make sure you like the neck profile. You might want to consider the Epi Elitist line, I have a Standard plus that I love

• Members

I tend to hear that if you want a good Gibson you have to try out 30 of them at a store and pick out the good one... Lots of clunkers these days.

That's def' an issue with Gibson. They make a fine guitar BUT....... for the money they charge you should not have to mill through a bunch of them to find one made "as it should be".

The studio's are nice guitars. If I was in the market for one I would hunt down a nice used example.

• Members

That's def' an issue with Gibson. They make a fine guitar BUT....... for the money they charge you should not have to mill through a bunch of them to find one made "as it should be".

The studio's are nice guitars. If I was in the market for one I would hunt down a nice used example.

Maybe I was a lucky git but I ordered mine on the interweb and it's the nicest guitar I've ever played. Admittedly sentimental value adds to that somewhat, but that includes Standards and Customs.

But yeah I agree with the other posts that said try some. It might not be for you. But mine is a fantastic axe.

• Members

I had a Gibson Les Paul Studio in wine red...I think it was a '97.

Nothing was terribly wrong with it, but it just didn't impress me at all. The stock pickups were lacking, so I changed them to Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros (made it a LOT thicker and stronger even...sang after that). The neck always seemed to build up after some playing, so I would have to wipe it down. I've never experienced this with any other guitar, and I don't have dirty, sweaty hands.

I sold it and got my G&L Tribute Legacy and (at the time) a Schecter C-1 Plus. It was the best guitar decision I've made.

Maybe I got a clunker...

• Members

nice studios guys-

thanks for the input- give me more

as far as Epis are concerned, I have an Epi Classic quilt top that I got a good deal on- I hot rodded it a bit (pups, electronics and a little fret milling) and now it is my "go to" guitar- plays better than any other Gibby I've tried...it's my workhorse-

so, I'm not above copies...I might look at Edwards more closely-

I'm just thinking of something nicer, in the color I want and truthfully, re-sale value is a consideration also since I don't think I'd get much for the Epi if it came down to it-

• Members

The early to mid-90's were some great years for Studios - I've owned both a '94 and a '96, and they were both outstanding guitars. My best friend still owns the '94, which is one that I really wish I'd not sold, except that he wanted it so much and loves it so completely.

• Members

I always thought studios kinda sucked, but I recently gave a few a chance, and they are great guitars. On the subject of Epiphone, I have two Epi LP Customs and they both sound better unplugged than any Gibson LP Custom or Standard i have ever played. Same goes for my G400 next to an SG Standard. Of course the stock pups suck on epis, too muddy.

Archived