Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me find an amp, tube combo class A blah blah

I want something affordable, possibly modable, class A, preferably single channel all tube amp. I was looking at the epiphone galaxie, those are supposedly extremely great sounding after a bit of modding, but its two channels, and i really like the sovtek mig-30, but i dont really want a head unit.

looking to spend under 500 bucks for something decent, not super mesa boogie omgz pro quality, just something for some bedroom jamming and recording, good cleans, decent crunch if i want it.
    HCAF's resident meathead.

You want real Class A? Single-Ended?

Or faux Class A? Cathode-biased push-pull (a la Vox, Matchless, etc.)?

Blackheart has really impressed the idea of their amps being modded. It's good starting point.

Comment

i dont know any amp terminology. i just want something thats crisp and warm, all tube, its for a small acoustic band that i will be sitting in with, and for my own recording purposes.
      HCAF's resident meathead.

Comment

I would ignore the Class A/AB thing, but many of your options will be small single-ended Class A amps anyway.

Will you be sitting in on electric of acoustic? Clean or dirty?

Comment

tiny terror? the crush 30?
          Founding Father of the Equiperate EMGers Club.

Proud Member of the Epiphone Empire

Originally Posted by notjonahbutnoah

I'm pooping. I post here a lot while pooping.

Comment

Small amps like that come around.

Bumbox or something like that makes apparently boss small tube amp. Boutique... for something under 500 for a 1 watt amp. Not bad.
            Originally Posted by redundantshrimp

inglorious basterds is going to be so good that when I go see it at the movie theatre, I'm going to wear a poncho just in case people's heads start exploding from the awesomeness.

My Rig!

Guitars:

Aria MAC 50 w/ SD Super Distort in bridge
            Aria STG-006 (needs new pickups)
            A few POS fixer uppers

Amps:
            Vox DA20
            Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine Preamp
            Tech 21 Powerengine 60

Effects:
            Dunlop 535Q Wah
            Boss GE-7 EQ

Anti-Spam
            '52 Reissue Tele
            20-40 watt Fender clean amp.

Comment

Can you wait a couple of weeks? The new Marshall Class 5 might be exactly what you need. $399.

Comment

tiny terror? the crush 30?

Tiny terror is tube class.
                Crush 30 is solid state. Perhaps you meant orange rocker 30?
                But that would be probably more than $500.
                Tiny terror could do if you can find a 2nd hand combo.
                Ant the Les Paul Lover!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum

Any help appreciated...I don't wanna go to Amps, as I don't have any condoms

Originally Posted by Greedo

yorga is wise and built like a refrigerator

Comment

Gibson Goldtone FTW...

I have one. I sold everything else that has come into the house in the meantime (5 years)...

Comment

i dont know any amp terminology. i just want something thats crisp and warm, all tube, its for a small acoustic band that i will be sitting in with, and for my own recording purposes.

Does that mean you want an acoustic amp?

Comment

Mods, probably Blackheart or even a Valve Junior.

I have a Blackstar HT-5s mini stack which is great, but you can also get the head with speaker as a combo.

If you're not gonna to push the overdrive into metal-land, you might check out the Bugera V22 ($350). I thought it sounded great clean, right out of the box, with no break-in. I got a 4x12 Bugera cab yesterday (same speaker) and it's really good. Very well defined and articulate. I can hear alot more texture in what I'm playing. Not sure what Bugera/Behringer is doing in their China factory...a new speaker approach or copies of tried and true, but I am really impressed with the sound of their speakers.

Comment

I'd get a Blues Junior for $400 and spend the rest on a great sounding speaker like a Jensen C12N...If you buy the Blues Junior used you might get the whole thing done for a bit over $400.

You get 15 watts...more headroom and better cleans than those 5-10 watt single ended one-tube "class A" amps. It also would have a master volume so you could get some overdrive at lower volumes.

As for mods...there's a website run by Bill Macrone that has a whole bunch of mods. They make the amp have shimmering cleans that remind be of something like a Matchless. The overdrive sounds are decent after the mods too but maybe not as great as a Deluxe Reverb....but awesome clean sounds.
                          "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

for used get a Mesa Boogie Subway or wtf-ever they call 'em
                            or a studio .22 ?
                            2004 Fender Lite Ash Strat (w/voodoo '57)
                            2012 Gibson Firebird V 2010
                            Mesa Boogie Mark 1 reissue 1-12 combo
                            'old' Fender medium and Herco Flex 75 picks
                            2-12 cab sapele/maple

Trees harboring termites are just as bad as the termites
                            Newspaper article fame is an Ironic form of game.
                            All that's necessary for evil to exist is for good people to play the Gee-tar!!!

Comment

Someone's got the Rivera Clubster 25 for sale for $500 (check the deals trend). Seems like a TON of amp for 500. Although it does have 2 channels and reverb.
                              Positive trades w/ ZJD, L6Sguy, puritycontrol, MrMunky, 343 Salty Beans, BadRonald, JoshuaTSP, 6StrngStrangler, Sunsetcarcrash, cdawzrd, Leaves

Comment

Working...
                              X