Gibson Les Paul Studio - Deluxe, Special, etc?

niceguy

• Members

satin ebony would be my preference if you dont mind the finish. i actually like that finish better than my full trim studio.

60's neck, 498t. perfect for me. i prefer the sound of the 498t for my tone, however most prefer different Gibson pickups.

the faded series is good/bad. bad that it has the 50's neck (too thick for my tastes), good that it has the burstbuckers. i have not been impressed by the cherry colored finishes, the natural mahogany looks much better IMO

if i were to buy another studio, i would get the silverburst. that model has a ebony board which would be nice, and if i remember correctly coil tapping.

• Members

cool! just wondering how overall build quality goes with these guitars. most importantly---since there's no neck binding, are the fret ends finished nicely?

Gibson USA ought to be ashamed of the razor sharp ends of their non-binding covered frets. I've got 3 Epi's with no fret binding---all nicely finished. Both of my Gibsons (LP Studio and SG Special) came with sharp fret ends. Hell, my $30 Hannah Montana guitar had better finished frets than my Gibbys. :cry:

• Members

cool! just wondering how overall build quality goes with these guitars. most importantly---since there's no neck binding, are the fret ends finished nicely?

fret ends are fine and everything else really. build quality in both of mine is great. i dont know where that bullshit with QC came from, because i sure havent seen it from my experiance.

go play them though, pick the one that suits you best.

• Members

I have a Gothic and a Studio Lite- except for the cosmetics, every bit the equal of every Classic/Standard I have played... and if you get models like these with Grovers and ebony fretboards, honestly to me they are functionally right up there with the Customs :thu:

I have not been able to bond with the Fadeds... partly because of the finish and partly because I am not a big Burstbucker fan.

• Members

I have 3 Gibson Les Paul Studios which all have that 'fat' '59 neck. They are one of my favorite all-time models of guitar of any brand. I have two Ebony (black) with rosewood fingerboards and one Alpine White with the ebony fingerboard.

I am not a fan of the stock pickups at all - many people like them but I'm not one of those people. This one has Lindy Fralin P92 pickups in it:

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

This one has Lindy Fralin humbuckers:

arealblacklespaul.jpg

body2.jpg

and this one is going to have Brian Gunsher's Pure 90 pickups in it. I have the pickups but I am just waiting on some hardware.

IMG_0087.jpg

• Members

^ sweet guitars! mind telling why the studio is your fav guitar of all?

1-I like the Studio because it really does have a big and thick sound which is noticeable above other designs. I could even notice it with the stock pickups which I had to have for a while to determine that they weren't exactly what I wanted (possibly because that sound was so dense and had a character that I wasn't very familiar with).

2-I like them because they don't have neck bindings. That is the area that Gibson is the sloppiest with and most every time I read a complaint about Gibson Quality Control issues, that is the only thing that I think of because most everything else is done right almost all of the time IMO.

3-I also really appreciate that it has the same components as other Les Pauls but is not necessarily flashy. I like the GO and I don't care too much for the SHOW.

4-The '59 neck is great for me. I like lots of different necks but when you are holding a Studio neck ('59 neck) then you know you are holding onto something. They aren't great for small hands but you can't tell me that it doesn't add to the tone when your strings are running up a nice thick neck instead of a little skinny neck.

5-It is nice to have a great guitar like a Gibson Les Paul without having to spend multiple thousands of dollars.

• Members

1-I like the Studio because it really does have a big and thick sound which is noticeable above other designs. I could even notice it with the stock pickups which I had to have for a while to determine that they weren't exactly what I wanted (possibly because that sound was so dense and had a character that I wasn't very familiar with).

2-I like them because they don't have neck bindings. That is the area that Gibson is the sloppiest with and most every time I read a complaint about Gibson Quality Control issues, that is the only thing that I think of because most everything else is done right almost all of the time IMO.

3-I also really appreciate that it has the same components as other Les Pauls but is not necessarily flashy. I like the GO and I don't care too much for the SHOW.

4-The '59 neck is great for me. I like lots of different necks but when you are holding a Studio neck ('59 neck) then you know you are holding onto something. They aren't great for small hands but you can't tell me that it doesn't add to the tone when your strings are running up a nice thick neck instead of a little skinny neck.

5-It is nice to have a great guitar like a Gibson Les Paul without having to spend multiple thousands of dollars.

very well put! I'm seriously looking into Studios now. I kinda like the workhorse, non-flashy appeal.