Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godin SD- Thoughts?

A guy near me is advertising a Godin SD for $195. Says its about 6 years old and in good shape, just a couple of dings and nicks from use.

I don't really know much about Godin guitars. From googling about they seem to get good reviews and go for $400-430 new.

What are they similar to soundwise?

Currently my only electric is a mid-90s Ibanez RX170, which is fine, but I'm betting the Godin would have a different sound quality.

So, I guess, are these good guitars and is this a good deal?
    Originally Posted by TheEternal

Can't you just let Jesus melt your face?

Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

life's too short not to eat bee's

Good Transactions

Peavey Bravo 112, Acoustic Control Corp 150 (x2), Peavey VTM120, Mesa Metal Grille Halfback 2x12, Tubeworks vert 2x12, Peavey 1810
    Godin SD24, Squier Standard Strat, Ibanez "Millenium" Destroyer, Agile 3100, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Peavey Reactor

Fix Congress First

If you want a Gibson-scale strat and it's in good shape, I say go for it! Godins are good bang-for-the-buck guitars. They are solid and well-made.
    You have the right to free speech, as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it. -- Joe Strummer

Comment

Alright, I think I'll look into it. I'm not good enough to justify spending much money on gear, but when I do buy, I'd like to get as good of quality for money spent as I can.

This seems to fit in that category. Thanks.

Good Transactions

Peavey Bravo 112, Acoustic Control Corp 150 (x2), Peavey VTM120, Mesa Metal Grille Halfback 2x12, Tubeworks vert 2x12, Peavey 1810
      Godin SD24, Squier Standard Strat, Ibanez "Millenium" Destroyer, Agile 3100, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Peavey Reactor

Fix Congress First

Comment

I have tried Godin Summit CT and an LG at the store and I was totally blown away. Very good sound and huge tone. Though on some models the finish quality (eye candy) is not up to par with equivalent Jackson or other brand.

I think you wont be disappointed.
        Gear;
        - Blackstar HT-5 stack
        - 10/2010 ESP Eclipse 1 CTM FT w/ BKP Rebel Yells
        - 09/2010 Sterling MM JP-50 w/ BKP Nailbombs
        - 08/2010 ESP M-II w/ Dimarzio Air Norton & D-Sonic
        - 08/2009 Jackson RR3 w/ WCR IceBuckers pups
        - 11/2007 Schecter C1 Hellraiser
        - Korg AX3000G
        - Pod X3

Comment

Uh oh, where's EG?

I have tried a couple Godin electrics and have been impressed with their sound and feel, I just am not a big fan of the way they look.

Like a smart chick who is a great cook and only ever wants you to buy her cheap stuff, but has a big snaggletooth. Their archtops are cute as **************** though.
          Sometimes you follow your heart. Sometimes your heart cuts a fart. That's the cosmic shame.Charvel So Cals More Guitars Amp PedalsMy Band Site w/ Player

Comment

Like a smart chick who is a great cook and only ever wants you to buy her cheap stuff, but has a big snaggletooth.

Still, when you turn off the lights, she looks just like Jessica Alba!
            You have the right to free speech, as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it. -- Joe Strummer

Comment

It does have an "interesting" look. Sorta like you mashed a tele and a LP together.

Its not my ideal style, but its far from hideous. And from the sounds of things would be solid for what I need*.

*need/want, same dif right?

Good Transactions

Fix Congress First

Comment

Got mine cheap used, it has become my number one. Love the scale length, the body shape. In fact, there's very little I don't like about it...
                Guitar '98 Godin SD [SD Custom Custom @ bridge] / '98 Gordon-Smith GS1 Doublecut >> Vox AC15CC1

Norman B-20

Bass 2005 Warwick Corvette Std Active (Ash) >> SWR Workingman's 10

Comment

I didn't like their older necks, but the "ergocut" profile on my Detour feels great, and I normally only like much bigger necks. The neck pockets on Godin bolt-ons are the tightest you will find anywhere near the price. The maple-core/poplar-wing wood combo on some of the lower-priced solid finished models scare people off on paper and I was myself a skeptic, but it's produces a great tone -- good snap, sustain, warmth, and harmonics.

For me, I don't like the pickup configuration and I don't like the configuration crammed for a 24 fret neck. There's something about the Strat spacing that doesn't fully translate when you mess with it, so the neck-middle spacing can let people down if they expect to totally nail the strat thing. (I'm not talking about replacing the pickups, I'm talking the places they are installed.)

The aesthetics of Godins can be deal killers for some people, and I think mine is a bit ugly, frankly, but it's a brilliant player and a great sounding guitar.

Comment

I didn't like their older necks, but the "ergocut" profile on my Detour feels great, and I normally only like much bigger necks.

I have a old Godin G-4000 and the neck on it is not as comfortable as my SD, so I'd agree with that.

For me, I don't like the pickup configuration and I don't like the configuration crammed for a 24 fret neck. There's something about the Strat spacing that doesn't fully translate when you mess with it, so the neck-middle spacing can let people down if they expect to totally nail the strat thing. (I'm not talking about replacing the pickups, I'm talking the places they are installed.)

That's why they switched the SD to 22 frets several years ago, about the same time they brought out the Exit 22. My SD is a 22 fret model and it sounds more stratty than the G-4000, which is a more strat style guitar, but 24 frets.

The aesthetics of Godins can be deal killers for some people, and I think mine is a bit ugly, frankly, but it's a brilliant player and a great sounding guitar.
                    I've actually come to really like the look but it took a while to get used to.

Comment

I picked up a small bodied single cut Godin with P90's at a shop a couple of years ago. It felt and played fantastic. It was however insanely heavy. Made my Les Paul Custom feel like a helium sample.

It did feel very nice though and everyone seems to agree Godin is mucho value for the dinero.
                      Rivera K-Tre
                      Randall T2

Carvin, Gibson, ESP

Good deals with: Shredtilurded, Juggernaut, Guillatool1( x2 ), MatrixClaw, CRANK,Clonexx, Chris the Asian, Slav123, lfrz93, ldonnell89, Khoifish321, bankboy, JJPSGAK, DTorg, jdr94, Yo_Squig, coolblues309, samthinguy, MorgMetal666, Uberthrall, Duke318, Harris, Katana, mctallica1, JerEvil, GuidanceofSin, phreddy, O'Rourke, Toshiro, the4thlast1, aywilson, shask, NeoAngelo, TomCray, scottcrud,sdgails, GibsonVMan, 100 watt

Comment

Solid guitars. Smaller necks. Looks like a good price. I got a exit 22, tele and a strat so it's nice to switch between the different necks and scale.

Comment

Rock solid guitars. Didn't really feel a ton of magic in mine, but it could've easily been somebody's gigging war horse.
                          I'm in a band called Little Sluggers. Signature.

Comment

FYI -- Frets just posted a video on the SD in the "Shortscale Blues" thread:

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Comment

Working...
                            X