Used Yamaha AES 500 (New Guitar Day!)

Splendor

• Members

This arrived last week and I was pretty upset at the time. The eBay seller only single boxed it and gave it a garbage bag, a candy bar wrapper, and three 1/4" pieces of styrofoam for the trip. And on top of that decided not to actually purchase the insurance I paid extra for. Obviously the guitar arrived damaged. :mad::cry:

Here are the pics of what showed up at my door...

PC300039.jpg

PC300040.jpg

And here's what awaited inside the box...

PC300045.jpg

PC300042.jpg

PC300044.jpg

• Members

I contacted the seller immediately and asked him for the insurance information (which he told me he forgot to purchase). I then told him I would like to return the guitar for a full refund at his expense. He offered to send me all but about $50 back for me to keep the guitar. And since the guitar works fine and received no neck or headstock damage I decided to keep it.

The only damage is on the back and I can live with that for fifty bones. So here are some glamour shots of the new AES500. :o

P1050114.jpg

P1050116.jpg

P1050111.jpg

P1050107.jpg

P1050113.jpg

P1050110.jpg

And the best part of the story is that this guitar plays and sounds GREAT! It's got two nice humbuckers with two volume pots, a master tone, and a three way blade pickup selector switch. And the tone pot is also a push/push pot to split the humbucker to single coil mode. I've heard a lot of negative comments regarding push/push pots and on my Ibanez Roadstar I share some of those complaints. But this is a different design...when in coil split mode the knob sits higher than when in humbucker mode (like a push/pull pot). And it works very well so far.

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Frets99

It's an awesome looking guitar. But jeez louise, what did they do? Throw it from one end of the truck to the other???

Sux that it got beat up like that. But congratulations on a new guitar that sounds great!!
:thu:

Thanks...and yeah, I don't know what they were doing. That's the 2nd box I've received from USPS with a gaping hole in it. Luckily the first one was double boxed and properly packed.

Maybe they're trying to tell me to give them a break and stop making them deliver guitars all the time. :D:o

• Members

Originally posted by ebene

Wow, man. I would be beyond pissed if that showed up to my door like that.

It still looks nice, though. Good thing you can't tell from the front. After about 20 years it'll look gorgeous!

It's USPS-reliced :D

• Members

Originally posted by ebene

Wow, man. I would be beyond pissed if that showed up to my door like that.

It still looks nice, though. Good thing you can't tell from the front. After about 20 years it'll look gorgeous!

Yeah, I was pissed. It took a couple of days before I could play it. Once I did that I was better. :)

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hey Splendor

That's a sweet lookin guitar-but i'm biased i just bought an '84! black

do you know yur year-mine does not have a split knob- also do you think

a bridge swap(more adjust) and/or pup swap would be worth it?

i'm new to the electric world

Thx tons

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I wouldn't be to hard on USPS, that guitar wasn't packed in any way shape or form to give it adequate protection, and to be honest I've had several guitars delivered by the USPS in less than perfect packing that had no damage and the boxes were in decent shape. UPS on the other hand can figure out how to break a guitar in a hard shell case that is double boxed and then refuse to pay the insurance that they happily took your money for. I will NEVER EVER EVER ship through UPS again. FedEx Ground or the USPS -

That said, that is a kick ass guitar, it's too bad the seller was such a douche about packing it- at least they were reasonable about the followup, as I find most people to be. :thu:

• Members

Hi there, I was just looking on the net to try get some info on the Yamaha AES 500 and i came across you form , " Sorry to hear about your guitar fella " :-( , If it was me i wouldnt be to happy and i hope you got it sorted out ..

Maybe you can help me .. I have the same guitar as yours "AES500" but mine is gold in colour , I picked it up years ago and to be honest I dont use it and it been sitting in the case since i got it , "Ive far to many guitars :-) " ,, I was hoping you mite be able to give me some idea of its value since you bought the same guitar not to long ago ,, My AES500 is very very clean with 2 tiny little dints on the side of the body and lacquer has worn abit on the back of the next ,, other than then she is almost mint !,

Im just doing a clear out and selling of the guitars i bought and never use but when i looked on the net theres very very little info on the AES500 .

Looking foward to your reply ..

Jay

This was like 4 years ago. Values have changed.

Check closed ebay auctions.

EG

Archived