No announcement yet.

Nashville Tuning

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nashville Tuning

I recently found out about Nashville or High Strung Tuning.

Apparently it is E A D G B E but the four lower strings are replaced with lighter ones and tuned an octave higher.

Has anyone tried this and what is the advantage?

Johnny Marr was known to sometimes tune that way in The Smiths, it supposedly gets you that jangly 12-string type of vibe. 

Comment

• gardo
      gardo commented
      Editing a comment

Thanks,  I listened to some of his playing,it has a good sound but I probably won't experiment with that tuning

It would be easier to get out my 12 string

The advantage to nashville over a 12-string is that you can use a slightly (or very) different strumming pattern, or put guitar on the left and nashville on the right, or just use it to fill-in little spots here and there around the regular guitar part.

Nashville doesn't lend itself to leads, or even arpeggios very well, because of the drastic jump from the g-string to the b-string, but you can do a few things with it.

When I use nashville, it's typically to put a little 'thickness' in the choruses, or something.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' "
    — Isaac Asimov

Comment

• ugameus
      ugameus commented
      Editing a comment

That Gambale tuning is cool as hell.  I am definitely going to try that.

Basically he tuned up to A standard then made the two high strings an octave lower.  Is that right?

I keep my '56 Dano in Nashville tuning, although sometimes I leave the G in the regular octave to keep things from getting too ice-picky. I recently swapped out the original bridge with one I got off a forumite so I could dial in the intonation a bit better. On its own it kinda sounds like a mix between a guitar, sitar and banjo. Mixed in with other instruments gives arrangements a 3-D quality, especially when I throw some chorus on it. Here is a rough song arrangement I wrote on it after the bridge swap (was still working out the riff so it is a bit ham-fisted).

Dano with new bridge photo Danonewbridge.jpg

**************** detuning, I'm gonna start using a capo when I play my speed metal. WHEEDLY WHEEDLY WHEEEE!!!

Comment

Working...
    X