18 volt pedals

mbengs1

• Members

If I buy a nice power supply like the mxr dc brick, I should get some 18v pedals. I only stuck to 9 volts so I can use a cheap power supply like my 1spot. with I good power supply, I guess u can buy 18v pedals since the option is there. what are some 18v pedals I can consider?

• Members

Fultones have a wide voltage range. I believe all the Fuldrives will do anything from sub 9 volts to a full 18+. The OCD may fit your tone sense - IDK. The higher voltage allows more headroom which seems to translate into a stringier more articulate sound before breakup which subsequently has more highs than when saturated at 9 volts. This might be good for actually overdriving an amp.

Standard 9 volts can work better when the pedal is the source of distortion.

• Members

Fultones have a wide voltage range. I believe all the Fuldrives will do anything from sub 9 volts to a full 18+. The OCD may fit your tone sense - IDK. The higher voltage allows more headroom which seems to translate into a stringier more articulate sound before breakup which subsequently has more highs than when saturated at 9 volts. This might be good for actually overdriving an amp.

Standard 9 volts can work better when the pedal is the source of distortion.

​Really. 9v distortion pedals sound better than 18v ones?

• Members

​Really. 9v distortion pedals sound better than 18v ones?

I didn't quite say that. For instance the Fuldrive 2 is an upscale tube screamer. It'll cover an astounding range of pro slinger requirements but for me and for just "that low gain drive sound" 9volts gets the job done as well as any standard 9V pedal. I reserve the higher voltages for clean sounds and drive dynamics at higher amp volumes.

On the other hand I have a T-Rex Batio pedal that just sounds better at the maximum 12 volts so that's usually how I use it.

The last face of this 3 sided coin is a Digitech SC2 Distortion. It's a 9V pedal that steps up the voltage internally so you always have the headroom and clarity. They addressed the trebliness with stepped active high and low EQ.

I get more sounds with these three than I can convincingly use without wasting the amp tubes.

Archived