Boss MS-3 switcher feature

dweebking

• Members

does anyone know if the MS-3 can act as a usb midi host ?

does it send midi or can it be configured to send midi out it's usb connection ?

can it be used to control a computer DAW or zoom cdr ?

i see no mention of usb capabilities beyond the software editor

if not, could we see this in a future firmware update ?

There's no MIDI In jack so it's not going to act as a Thru box. It can transmit and recognize some MIDI commands. Which ones? Check the MIDI Implementation Chart - Roland actually published one for it (kudos to them for doing so!) and it will give you the basics on what it can and can't do insofar as its MIDI capabilities.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/ms-3/

Scroll down a bit and then click on "Support" - the manual and MIDI Implementation Chart are just a download away. :wave:

Basically the MIDI Implementation is pretty basic. It can do things like send MIDI program change commands and some control change commands and sysex data, but that's about it. Since there's no MIDI input, it's not going to pass along incoming MIDI note on/off commands or anything like that, so it's not going to be able to function as a MIDI host.

• Members

i looked at midi implementation chart but i think that's only for the standard 5 pin midi out, i was wondering about the usb port and whether they had implemented midi over usb as a host. the hardware seems capable, they're using usb to send and edit patch info where 5 pin midi was used in the past... it would be a shame to overlook the functionality if the hardware is capable

i looked at midi implementation chart but i think that's only for the standard 5 pin midi out' date=' i was wondering about the usb port and whether they had implemented midi over usb as a host. the hardware seems capable, they're using usb to send and edit patch info where 5 pin midi was used in the past... it would be a shame to overlook the functionality if the hardware is capable[/quote']

I think I see what you're getting at, but from the MIDI implementation chart, it doesn't look like it.

Archived