Earthbound supercollider

thom

• Members

It was what I decided to look for after my recent "which sludge/doom fuzz" thread, or whatever the title was. I'm still looking for something to replace my swollen pickle II. Pretty much just the next step in my endless search for the perfect muff:)

Anyway, it seems there's a wait/preorder list or something for the supercollider:s Don't yet know how long the wait would be, but assuming it'll be more than a couple weeks...:

What's the next best thing? So far almost everyone who somewhat shares my taste in music and tried both a musket fuzz and a supercollider prefered the latter...

So what else is out there that's easier available, as well as affordable? Btw, so far non of the BAT stuff impressed me, dispite their superb reputation on the interweb:)

Not to sound dramatic or self centered, but if this sort of fuzz related thread is getting the sort of attention we've been experiencing since the last version launched, I'll be looking for another geeky forum to waist my time...

• Members

If you want lots of replies to your question then go ask it in the doom room on ilovefuzz. Those guys are all about it and a good bit are a lot of the non douchebag regulars that used to post here. You'll get honest helpful answers there for sure. That is where I spend my time ever since this turd of a {censored}heap went belly up.

To answer your question though, I've never played a Musket but the Supercollider was a perfect replacement for my Swollen Pickle. It was easier to dial in, never got lost in the mix, and always had a useable tone. The SP sounded like a muff mixed with a Metal Zone at times. When I ordered my SC the build time was about 3 weeks. That was right before he changed the name though so I don't know if he's busier now or not. Definitely worth the wait though.

I love BAT stuff. It took me a few months to figure out that it needs to be in front of a loud amp to get all of the subtleties out of it. Most of his stuff is made to be ran in front of an already dirty amp too which I love. If you don't like the pedals by themselves don't write them off just yet. They all stack really well either before or after other dirt. One of my favorites is the Black Forest for a low gain od / boost.

• Members

the super collider does seem the most badass, but i'd be interested to put it up against the madebymike IC Muff i have; the mids knob really does help with the definition, and the IC's low mid 'grind' makes me think it'll sound as big as a super collider... i'm not sure the IC would benefit any more from a sub (extreme bass) control like i remember the super collider has.

• Members

Thnks...

@conky: Yep, that's pretty much how I feel about my SP. Sounds decent on it's own, like a more focused bmp with more presence/mids. Dissapears in a mix though, to the point where you have to tweak the controls so it sounds like a broken vacuum cleaner.

@Gambit: Don't know about the madebymike ic muff, but a good ic muff was actually also on the top of my wish list. Always been curious about those. The reviews/descriptions/demos make me think an ic muff could be my favorite ehx type of big muff, even more so than a ram's head. I know blakemore effects makes a tricked out ic muff fuzz, or at least they used to. And so does mojohand, the '1978', a 3 knob ic muff. That one's been on my radar ever since I heard about it. They're $180 though if I remember right. Don't know if it's worth that to me, at least not as long as a pharaoh can be had for 150, and the supercollider for 125...

• Members

i never really got into testing all the ram's head / triangle muffs etc but i've been settled with the IC muff for a couple of years now.. that's the longest i've been without searching for another fuzz, so i think i can safely say i've found the perfect muff for me. (and that in no way was meant to be a double entendre)

• Members
Thnks...

@conky: Yep, that's pretty much how I feel about my SP. Sounds decent on it's own, like a more focused bmp with more presence/mids. Dissapears in a mix though, to the point where you have to tweak the controls so it sounds like a broken vacuum cleaner.

Yeah, the SC doesn't have that problem at all.

• Members

Are you sure you want a muff-type?

If you're downtuning heavily into the sludge-zone, some really great sounds can come from (nearly) stock distortions like the Distortion +

An acquaintance, Ben Adrian, makes the Kowloon Walled Bunny, which was a staple for the gentlemen of Kowloon Walled City.

It is a modified Distortion +

Of course, this may not be your cuppa tea/not the droid you're looking for.

• Members
Are you sure you want a muff-type?

If you're downtuning heavily into the sludge-zone, some really great sounds can come from (nearly) stock distortions like the Distortion +

An acquaintance, Ben Adrian, makes the Kowloon Walled Bunny, which was a staple for the gentlemen of Kowloon Walled City.

It is a modified Distortion +

Of course, this may not be your cuppa tea/not the droid you're looking for.

I'm sure I like muffs, but I'm also sure a stock muff that's not seriously tweaked won't cut through in my band:s

But yeah, both my rat and my hotcake sound gnarly too. It's hard not to sound brutal when you're in cgcfad:)

Still though, a dist pedlol obviously doesn't have that extra hair that a fuzz pedal has. It's just about finding the perfect compromise I guess:s

• Members
I had an early SC. It was pretty cool. I sold it though. Don't really miss it now but I did enjoy it when I had it. You might look into the Quantum Mystic too.

That quantum mystic sounds great, judging on the clips. Don't hear much that a lot of other -smaller- peds can't do though. Footprint isn't my main concern, but it'd still be nice if I could limit the size to the minimum...

• Members

it isnt a big pedal. Its like if you turned a micropog sideways. With top mounted jacks it takes up just as much room as if the micropog was in its usual position. Another fuzz that just came out is the Black Sheep. It might be in the area tonewise that you're looking for.

Archived