No announcement yet.

to effects loop or not to effects loop

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to effects loop or not to effects loop

ok - what to do? my new lonestar has an effects loop but should I use it?
    how exactly does an effects loop work? does it put the pedals after the preamp and before the rectifier?

do od/dist pedals sound better out of the effects loop & modulation sound better in?

give me all the deets as I don't have enough cables to try it out.
    Originally Posted by Brother_Budro

Surely mike's (from Incubus) board is different than the one that is on guitar geek now

Originally Posted by iamthearm

I always imagined he just played through a giant tribal tattoo.

good deals - cleverbastid, echoes22, openE, pwrightmd, SharkMinusBear, this1smyne, CrystalLake
    Formerly known as robjrussell

I'M SELLING ALL MY GEAR!!!! - http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...2#post43933242

An effects loop places effects after the preamp. It will make your mod effects cleaner I would think, but it's most useful for delays and reverb if you're running the amp overdriven. You (presumably) want to hear your overdriven signal delayed with a dry overdriven signal, not your clean guitar and a delayed clean signal, spat out into the overdrive. That's what a loop is good for...
    Currently using:
    Ibanez RG1570 (DiMarzio MegaDrive bridge) - Peavey Royal 8
    Board:
    RMC Wizard Wah (2005)
    EHX Small Stone (Big box)
    Boss SD-1 (Modded by PedalMods UK, 3-way gain voicing selection)
    Ernie Ball VP-JR
    Boss DD-3 (1987)
    T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr.
    Good dealings with: yourguitarhero, woolyh

Comment

ahhhhh - so when I am using pedals in front of channel 1 (super clean) then thats ok.. but if I want to use my second channel overdriven I don't want delay, reverb, etc before that.

I think I get it?

Surely mike's (from Incubus) board is different than the one that is on guitar geek now

good deals - cleverbastid, echoes22, openE, pwrightmd, SharkMinusBear, this1smyne, CrystalLake

I'M SELLING ALL MY GEAR!!!! - http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...2#post43933242

Comment

You do.

There are a few guys on here who have some stuff in front and some stuff in the loop. I think if I was going to go that way I'd want to put some kind of buffer or something in the loop because that's a lot of cable going on.
        Phil O'Keefe wrote:You can never have enough cheese, son. Write that down.gear.

Comment

You do.

There are a few guys on here who have some stuff in front and some stuff in the loop. I think if I was going to go that way I'd want to put some kind of buffer or something in the loop because that's a lot of cable going on.

I don't think you need a buffer in the effects loop, your signal should be strong enough at that point.

Comment

I did the four-cable thing for awhile and felt like I had a ton of signal loss once everything was plugged in.
            Phil O'Keefe wrote:You can never have enough cheese, son. Write that down.gear.

Comment

ok - what to do? my new lonestar has an effects loop but should I use it?
              how exactly does an effects loop work? does it put the pedals after the preamp and before the rectifier?

do od/dist pedals sound better out of the effects loop & modulation sound better in?

give me all the deets as I don't have enough cables to try it out.

just for the record, the rectifier is not part of the signal chain. it is the component in the amp that converts the power from AC to DC. amps run on DC and the outlet supplies AC. the effects loop puts the effects after the preamp but before the power amp. otherwise, it seems like you've got it.

Comment

ahhh power amp - yes, that's what I meant.

Comment

I did the four-cable thing for awhile and felt like I had a ton of signal loss once everything was plugged in.

Did you run any buffers in front of the amp? The amp typically changes your signal to low impedance ones it leaves the effects loop, I could be wrong... it also depends on the length of your signal in the loop, but it would have to be really long....

Comment

ahhhhh - so when I am using pedals in front of channel 1 (super clean) then thats ok.. but if I want to use my second channel overdriven I don't want delay, reverb, etc before that.

I think I get it?

You certainly do.

And while we're at it, parallel loops are no more complicated than series - They just incorporate a mixer if you want to set your effects 100% wet and have more/higher fidelity control over the dry/wet mix. Some people have problems with them because 100% on the mix doesn't function the same as a series loop on some amps...
                    Currently using:
                    Ibanez RG1570 (DiMarzio MegaDrive bridge) - Peavey Royal 8
                    Board:
                    RMC Wizard Wah (2005)
                    EHX Small Stone (Big box)
                    Boss SD-1 (Modded by PedalMods UK, 3-way gain voicing selection)
                    Ernie Ball VP-JR
                    Boss DD-3 (1987)
                    T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr.
                    Good dealings with: yourguitarhero, woolyh

Comment

With my Roadster I put reverb/delays/chorus and phasers in the loop. It gives me a lot more control this way. Can you bypass the FX loop for each channel on a Lonestar?
                      This is a really great features on some Mesa like mine.
                      ((( KoskineN )))

Fender '52 Hotrod AVRI Telecaster
                      Fender '62 AVRI Jazzmaster
                      Fender Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar
                      Fender EJ Stratocaster
                      Fender CIJ '69 Competition Mustang
                      Gibson Les Paul R7
                      Gibson ES-339
                      Gibson SG '67 Special RI GOTW
                      PRS McCarty
                      Larrivée LV-03RE

Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo + Mesa 2x12 cab
                      Dr.Z Maz 18 NR 2x10 combo
                      Orange Rocker 30 head
                      '79 Fender Champ

Too many pedals...

Comment

my brain just exploded - say what now?

You certainly do.

And while we're at it, parallel loops are no more complicated than series - They just incorporate a mixer if you want to set your effects 100% wet and have more/higher fidelity control over the dry/wet mix. Some people have problems with them because 100% on the mix doesn't function the same as a series loop on some amps...

Comment

i run everything in front.
                          "15 layers of oscillating delays and samples of hedgehogs having sex. There's your chorus." - hwaorang

"play in church.. Jesus will provide reverb" - wiklund87

"Flaming Korg solos don't grow on trees." - big69

Comment

i don't believe you have effects loop control per channel.

so i'm assuming you don't use od/dist pedals? or if you do - those would be pre effects loop?

With my Roadster I put reverb/delays/chorus and phasers in the loop. It gives me a lot more control this way. Can you bypass the FX loop for each channel on a Lonestar?
                            This is a really great features on some Mesa like mine.

Comment

but do you use your channel to overdrive/distort?

i run everything in front.

Comment

Working...
                              X