No announcement yet.

Ring Thing vs Whammy

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring Thing vs Whammy

I've got a Whammy II and I was checking out alternatives. I am especially curious if the Ring Thing can accomplish the 2nd down pitch shifter that the whammy can do.
    Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and Les Paul Studio + w/ WCR Fillmore pickups
    Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45
    Pedalboard: Teese RMC3 -> Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe -> Emma DiscumBOBulator -> TC Polytune Mini -> Whammy V -> AM Silver OD-9 -> PaulC Timmy -> CMATmods Compressor -> TC Nova Repeater -> Digitech Jamman Stereo

The Ring Thing can polyphonic pitch shift +/- 2 octaves and everything in between.
    Good Deals with: Snail_killer, myTakamine, C Fuzz, johnrambo, AnderMocs (x2), finboy, conky, themeanreds, masterwuhan, smrz, brandnewzo, Jisatsu, RoboPimp, itkindaworks, CrowShack, Coach, Leaves, Yarbicus, Raintes, jcm800stratman, -MBro-, smalltownsongs, TravvyBear, young_grandma, d_dave_c, homestar_kevin, cryptosonic, RockDaJoJo, Lonely Tourist, jhamnett, H.P. Lovecraft, killthehippies45, bikescene, delayed delay, christianatlBad Deals: Hello Music & Cascade Microphones

Comment

fulltone I just got a ps-6 to replace my whammy II its a great lower cost alternative and has alot of really good uses. it's also actually really easy to dial in, even if you play live.
      www.ChrisBedward.comYoutube

Comment

fulltone I just got a ps-6 to replace my whammy II its a great lower cost alternative and has alot of really good uses. it's also actually really easy to dial in, even if you play live.

Do you use a expression pedal with it? I like the idea of presets with the Ring Thing.
        Pedalboard: Teese RMC3 -> Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe -> Emma DiscumBOBulator -> TC Polytune Mini -> Whammy V -> AM Silver OD-9 -> PaulC Timmy -> CMATmods Compressor -> TC Nova Repeater -> Digitech Jamman Stereo

Comment

i did for like a day using the ev-5 someone let me borrow for a gig, but I actually don't mind using the ps-6 itself in the s-bend mode.
          www.ChrisBedward.comYoutube

Comment

Morpheus Bomber!

Comment

Half of the fun is in the glitchiness of the whammy. The ring thing's got a lot of options but if you want THAT whammy sound, go for the whammy.
              Good deals with: Mind_Riot89, NetStar, Devi Ever, arcaneaether, woolyh, smudge_lad, ChuckNorris1982, figjamaussie.

Comment

Half of the fun is in the glitchiness of the whammy. The ring thing's got a lot of options but if you want THAT whammy sound, go for the whammy.

My Whammy II may be retired, and I don't want to shell out the dough for another.

Comment

The Whammy IV does the second down but it's just relabeled 'Drop Tune'.
                  Good deals with: Mind_Riot89, NetStar, Devi Ever, arcaneaether, woolyh, smudge_lad, ChuckNorris1982, figjamaussie.

Comment

I hate the whammy glitchiness but I might be the only one. I want to be able to smoothly bend chords.

Comment

I hate the whammy glitchiness but I might be the only one. I want to be able to smoothly bend chords.

Whammy DT has completely eliminated the glitching. I demoed one the other week, its smooth as butter even on the 2+ octave setting!

Too bad its horrendously large and overpriced, though.
                      Smooth deals with: duncan, the_bleeding, MrSandMan, 6StrngStrangler, mmmmmchina, gproud, Onehourlater, driverhasabomb, bluehuricane, melx, TheErosion, gschmittling, BrianPhase90, roaring20's, ibentmywookieFender Custom Shop '52 TelecasterGibson 2013 SG StandardFender Deville III 4x10Oh Henry! chocolate barsPedals n' stuffhttp://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com

Comment

The Whammy IV does the second down but it's just relabeled 'Drop Tune'.

Really? I'll have to look into that, the drop tune setting on my Whammy II is really subtle.

Comment

Yeah; it is on my IV, too! Definitely give it a shot!

Comment

Whammy DT has completely eliminated the glitching. I demoed one the other week, its smooth as butter even on the 2+ octave setting!

Too bad its horrendously large and overpriced, though.

You want to talk about horrendously large? I have a HOG. Thinking about getting a foot controller.

Comment

You want to talk about horrendously large? I have a HOG. Thinking about getting a foot controller.

haha, oh this I know! Your rig is incredible

I just think they could have done just fine by omitting the whole "Look at us, we can do what Morpheus is doing too!" thing and just kept it a Whammy with more settings/true bypass. Meh.
                              Smooth deals with: duncan, the_bleeding, MrSandMan, 6StrngStrangler, mmmmmchina, gproud, Onehourlater, driverhasabomb, bluehuricane, melx, TheErosion, gschmittling, BrianPhase90, roaring20's, ibentmywookieFender Custom Shop '52 TelecasterGibson 2013 SG StandardFender Deville III 4x10Oh Henry! chocolate barsPedals n' stuffhttp://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com

Comment

Working...
                              X