Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guys with knowledge of circuit design, give me a hand.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys with knowledge of circuit design, give me a hand.

I designed this simple 1 transistor distortion with a switchable band pass filter for lowfi sounds. I would love some feedback on it.

This is my first time trying my hand at anything like this. I left out all the switching and such. What do y'all think?
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><u>Guitars:</u><br><br>Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded<br><br>Fender Roadworn '72 Deluxe Telecaster<br><br>Kramer Striker<br><br><br><br><u>Amplification:</u><br><br>Titan Custom Retrofit<br><br>Randall R412CS<br><br></font><br><br><br><br>Official member of the Ninja Lows club</div>

The actual distortion part of the circuit it based on this from GGG:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/...n/onetrans.pdf

In case I copied some stuff down wrong, its my first time using CircuitMaker
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><u>Guitars:</u><br><br>Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded<br><br>Fender Roadworn '72 Deluxe Telecaster<br><br>Kramer Striker<br><br><br><br><u>Amplification:</u><br><br>Titan Custom Retrofit<br><br>Randall R412CS<br><br></font><br><br><br><br>Official member of the Ninja Lows club</div>

Comment

The actual distortion part of the circuit it based on this from GGG:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/...n/onetrans.pdf

In case I copied some stuff down wrong, its my first time using CircuitMaker

Comment

I think a collector resistor would be a good idea.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="center"><br><br>Logic. And cats. And logical cats.<br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.mrblackpedals.com">Mr. Black Pedals</a><br><br></div></div>

Comment

I think a collector resistor would be a good idea.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="center"><br><br>Logic. And cats. And logical cats.<br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.mrblackpedals.com">Mr. Black Pedals</a><br><br></div></div>

Comment

Forgot some components and got some values wrong on my initial schematic. Revised:

Comment

Forgot some components and got some values wrong on my initial schematic. Revised:

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ej
                View Post

Will it be loud enough after clipping/filtering?
                <div class="signaturecontainer">Selling: <br />
                <br />
                <b><br />
                Mini mixer £25 posted. Good size for pedalboards.<br />
                EHX 24v DC adapter £12 posted<br />
                Dual momentary footswitch £20 posted.<br />
                Telecaster 3 way switch and vintage jack socket. £5 posted<br />
                </b><br />
                <br />
                <font size="1"><i>Excellent dealings with AncientMariner, Chucknorris1982, Daysofspeed, Kurd01, Melx, SirLemonHead, and a few of others I can't remember. . .</i></font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ej
                  View Post

Will it be loud enough after clipping/filtering?
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">Selling: <br />
                  <br />
                  <b><br />
                  Mini mixer £25 posted. Good size for pedalboards.<br />
                  EHX 24v DC adapter £12 posted<br />
                  Dual momentary footswitch £20 posted.<br />
                  Telecaster 3 way switch and vintage jack socket. £5 posted<br />
                  </b><br />
                  <br />
                  <font size="1"><i>Excellent dealings with AncientMariner, Chucknorris1982, Daysofspeed, Kurd01, Melx, SirLemonHead, and a few of others I can't remember. . .</i></font></div>

Comment

boost stage!
                    YᵒᵘOᶰˡʸLᶤᵛᵉ Oᶰᶜᵉ<br><blockquote><hr>Robopimp wrote:<br>Chat crüe is srs crüe<hr></blockquote><br>For Sale: Ibanez DML-10, Boss TW-1, Boss FZ-2/3<br><br>Good deals with: Duderanimous, Overwhelmed987, Jules-RM, DoubleBarrel, HotRats, Fusion1, IRG, barney steele, Aaron SS, Urinate Forever, Raintes, crowquill, Blakemore Effects, Aimmar Cair, lefort_1, killthelights, 9720575 (CHUCK!)

Comment

boost stage!
                      YᵒᵘOᶰˡʸLᶤᵛᵉ Oᶰᶜᵉ<br><blockquote><hr>Robopimp wrote:<br>Chat crüe is srs crüe<hr></blockquote><br>For Sale: Ibanez DML-10, Boss TW-1, Boss FZ-2/3<br><br>Good deals with: Duderanimous, Overwhelmed987, Jules-RM, DoubleBarrel, HotRats, Fusion1, IRG, barney steele, Aaron SS, Urinate Forever, Raintes, crowquill, Blakemore Effects, Aimmar Cair, lefort_1, killthelights, 9720575 (CHUCK!)

Comment

what about an active filter instead of passive? I also made the switch DPDT so the filtering can be completely removed.

Comment

what about an active filter instead of passive? I also made the switch DPDT so the filtering can be completely removed.

Comment

Either develop a passion for breadboards or use a simulator. A good sim will teach you an awful lot about how changes affect your circuit. You can use the simulator on circuitlab.com for free, and you don't have to download anything because it runs in your web browser. The downside is that it's all java script so it's really slow to run a simulation. I tried simulating only the octave amp of an FY-6 on circuitlab and it took more than an hour to generate 1000 sample points.

There are lots of free Spice simulation engines but few with graphical interfaces. Writing simulation scripts manually isn't my idea of a pleasant afternoon, but I've done it before.

I'm currently using 5Spice (5spice.com). The free demo version is very limited - very small schematic drawing space, and some of the simulation features are disabled, but it will give you an idea how it works. Once you register it (around $200) then it unlocks all the features, and you can draw very large schematics to simulate. I can simulate the entire six transistor FY-6 circuit and collect 10,000 sample points in a little over a second. It's very accurate, too. The waveforms I saw in simulation were exactly what I saw on the bench with the breadboard and o-scope.

You'll need Spice models for every component you use in your circuit. 5Spice comes with some common components, and many more can be found on the internet. They're just text files containing a description of how the component performs, but they contain parameters you often won't find on a manufacturer's datasheet. For semiconductors, you can usually find Spice models on the manufacturer's website.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">Owner/Engineer, <a href="http://www.wattson-fx.com" target="_blank">Wattson Classic Electronics</a></div>

Comment

Either develop a passion for breadboards or use a simulator. A good sim will teach you an awful lot about how changes affect your circuit. You can use the simulator on circuitlab.com for free, and you don't have to download anything because it runs in your web browser. The downside is that it's all java script so it's really slow to run a simulation. I tried simulating only the octave amp of an FY-6 on circuitlab and it took more than an hour to generate 1000 sample points.

There are lots of free Spice simulation engines but few with graphical interfaces. Writing simulation scripts manually isn't my idea of a pleasant afternoon, but I've done it before.

I'm currently using 5Spice (5spice.com). The free demo version is very limited - very small schematic drawing space, and some of the simulation features are disabled, but it will give you an idea how it works. Once you register it (around $200) then it unlocks all the features, and you can draw very large schematics to simulate. I can simulate the entire six transistor FY-6 circuit and collect 10,000 sample points in a little over a second. It's very accurate, too. The waveforms I saw in simulation were exactly what I saw on the bench with the breadboard and o-scope.

You'll need Spice models for every component you use in your circuit. 5Spice comes with some common components, and many more can be found on the internet. They're just text files containing a description of how the component performs, but they contain parameters you often won't find on a manufacturer's datasheet. For semiconductors, you can usually find Spice models on the manufacturer's website.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer">Owner/Engineer, <a href="http://www.wattson-fx.com" target="_blank">Wattson Classic Electronics</a></div>

Comment

Working...
                              X