Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT Fender BF Pro Reverb (head)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT Fender BF Pro Reverb (head)

    Shop by my grandparents have a bf pro reverb head, obviously it's been modded from combo to head, but I'm curious if at $699 assuming I can take cash and talk him down at least $50, would it be worth it? I mean its still a bf pro reverb. Also had an approx '76 pro for $799. G-pa says I could get it off him for $700 if I took in cash, but how can you tell if it's a '76 or if its a '77 or later with the SS rectifier? Also out of those 2 would you prefer if the SF combo was an actual '76?



    Or should I just save up for the $1,000 '68 drip edge super reverb near me.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Good transactions with: Woolyh, Starmansam<br />
    I Lurk</div>

  • #2
    In the long run the 68 near you sounds like a better investment if you want to look at it as an investment. The 76 for 700 sounds like a fairly normal if not good deal. I've got an Black panel 82 that has the specs of a MV Silverface and when researching the 'competition' ebay to unload it, I see several SFs for 700 to 750 or so. BFs readily going for 1200+, and non MV SF's closer to that 1k area, if not over it.

    Comment


    • #3
      It does seem like a good chance to get a BF at a great price even though it is modded, but worst comes to worst, I spend a couple hundred to reconvert it to a combo idk
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Good transactions with: Woolyh, Starmansam<br />
      I Lurk</div>

      Comment


      • #4






        Quote Originally Posted by Psyre
        View Post

        Shop by my grandparents have a bf pro reverb head, obviously it's been modded from combo to head, but I'm curious if at $699 assuming I can take cash and talk him down at least $50, would it be worth it? I mean its still a bf pro reverb. Also had an approx '76 pro for $799. G-pa says I could get it off him for $700 if I took in cash, but how can you tell if it's a '76 or if its a '77 or later with the SS rectifier? Also out of those 2 would you prefer if the SF combo was an actual '76?



        Or should I just save up for the $1,000 '68 drip edge super reverb near me.




        if it has a tube rectifier you'll know, it's a big tube beside the two output tubes.

        ss recitifier isn't a tube.

        I have a 76 Pro Reverb with the tibe rectifier, its a great amp that's much easier to move around than a Super Reverb.

        if the 76 Pro Reverb is running properly and needs nothing, it woud be a no brainer pick for me.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">great transactions with: pointblank73, duderanimous</div>

        Comment


        • #5
          even over a '66 pro reverb just because it has been converted to a head instead of combo and is $100 less?



          Also I am almost positive it is the SS rec version because it had the 3-way eq, which I think came along with the SS.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Good transactions with: Woolyh, Starmansam<br />
          I Lurk</div>

          Comment


          • #6
            Bf pro and keep aneye on ebay for a combo shell. They do pop up

            Comment


            • #7
              My local Guitar Center has a rather clean 1979 Fender Pro Reverb for $599. I'm thinking the one you're looking at might be a bit on the high side, particularly in this economy.



              I'd see if you can get the BF Pro Reverb head for $600 cash. Is it a new Fender headshell or did they just chop up the old cabinet? Also, make sure all the original components like transformers are in it. You might just come to really like having the luxury of changing speaker cabinets and speaker configurations that comes with a head.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the input.



                It's a new head that the BF is dropped in, and looks clean, but one thing I was thinking about is OHM's. Aren't fender combos ran at like 2 ohms? There would have had to have been some changes to make it run at 8-12ohm's correct?
                <div class="signaturecontainer">Good transactions with: Woolyh, Starmansam<br />
                I Lurk</div>

                Comment


                • #9
                  A blackface Pro Reverb would be a 4 ohm amp.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thats way high. You can buy un modded Bandmasters and Bassman amps for that much. No matter what that shop says the value is hurt by it being modded.

                    Comment


                    • #11






                      Quote Originally Posted by Psyre
                      View Post

                      even over a '66 pro reverb just because it has been converted to a head instead of combo and is $100 less?



                      Also I am almost positive it is the SS rec version because it had the 3-way eq, which I think came along with the SS.




                      well with the head, you're then shopping for the right cba to match to the head, or speakers and a combo chssis etc. your works not done. with the 76 PR your set and you just grab and go.

                      the difference in tone is very negligable imo., even with the ss rectifier, that might work in your favour.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">great transactions with: pointblank73, duderanimous</div>

                      Comment


                      • #12






                        Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Damage
                        View Post

                        Thats way high. You can buy un modded Bandmasters and Bassman amps for that much. No matter what that shop says the value is hurt by it being modded.




                        Yea, I actually do have a '68 bassman, and paid less than I would have for either of those. I played the Super today and pretty much settled on it. I think the 10's will give a good alternative to the 2x12 can I use with the bassman. It just sounded better, in every regard than the pro.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">Good transactions with: Woolyh, Starmansam<br />
                        I Lurk</div>

                        Comment


                        • #13






                          Quote Originally Posted by Psyre
                          View Post

                          Shop by my grandparents have a bf pro reverb head, obviously it's been modded from combo to head, but I'm curious if at $699 assuming I can take cash and talk him down at least $50, would it be worth it? I mean its still a bf pro reverb. Also had an approx '76 pro for $799. G-pa says I could get it off him for $700 if I took in cash, but how can you tell if it's a '76 or if its a '77 or later with the SS rectifier? Also out of those 2 would you prefer if the SF combo was an actual '76?



                          Or should I just save up for the $1,000 '68 drip edge super reverb near me.




                          If I could find a BF Pro Reverb for under $700, I'd be all over it.



                          The easiest way to tell at a glance if a MV Pro is ultra-linear or not is the EQ. The earlier 40W units had 2 band EQ, and the later, 70W UltraLinear models have three band EQ.



                          FWIW, I prefer the earlier, 40W, non-master volume models, followed by the non-UL master volume models, trailed distantly by the UL models.
                          **********

                          "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

                          - George Carlin

                          "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

                          - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

                          "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

                          - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Good call. Hard to go wrong with a Super.

                            Comment


                            • #15






                              Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe
                              View Post

                              If I could find a BF Pro Reverb for under $700, I'd be all over it.



                              The easiest way to tell at a glance if a MV Pro is ultra-linear or not is the EQ. The earlier 40W units had 2 band EQ, and the later, 70W UltraLinear models have three band EQ.



                              FWIW, I prefer the earlier, 40W, non-master volume models, followed by the non-UL master volume models, trailed distantly by the UL models.




                              Thanks for the input Phil. If I'm not mistaken the added mid knob in the eq was only added to the clean (non reverb/vibrato) channel correct? Or was it added to both? Because I know some amps for instance the super had a Mid knob in the 2nd channel, but only a 2-way in channel 1.



                              Also I agree about the BF pro despite it being modded, but knowing whether or not they modded the transformer is a big worry, as I said earlier because of ohm load matching. Seems like it may just be more of a shell of what it once was.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer">Good transactions with: Woolyh, Starmansam<br />
                              I Lurk</div>

                              Comment



                              Working...
                              X