IEM directly from heaphone jack on GSP1101 amp?

onthee brink

• Members

I have a GSP1101 that has a separate headphone jack with volume control that doesn't cut the sound to the speakers. I am considering running some wired IEM's to the jack to use for rehearsal and live situations. I figure if they aren't turned up too much I'll be able to hear the rest of the band as well. Has anybody else tried this? I've searched everywhere for an example and all I can find it everybody running out of the mixer with the band mic'd up.

• Members

OK, so not a lot of people out there using IEM's from their amps. I tried using headphones the other day and it worked pretty well. A little bit of time to dial it in and I could definitely use it for live applications. The only drawback is singing but its not much different than wearing earplugs. Why wait for the soundguy/bartender/janitor/ex lynard skynard roadie to put out his cigarette and stop talking to underage girls so he can turn you up in the monitor? The cock is out and the rocking shall commence.

• Members

I don't think I'd want to hear myself any louder then the rest of the players. Weird things begin to happen to make your live sound screw up. You wind up tweaking your sound to sound good through the in ear and neglect to focus on making your live tone sound good. It also impact your dynamics. Because you hear yourself well you expect everyone else does too and fail to push your live sound to cut through when its needed.

Some of that can be compensated for by the sound man but given it sounds like you have a deadbeat sound man I'd rather know my stage sound is good.

I'd also mention a headphone output is not line level. You have an impedance mismatch that could either damage your device or your amp. You need to get an attenuator to drop headphone level to line level to do it safely.

There are some headphone outputs that are designed to work as both headphones and line level. You often find this in Keyboards and other select devices, but not on a GSP1101. You should connect that monitor setup to the Line output on the back. If you're using the 1/4" line outputs to drive a power amp get yourself some XLR to 1/4" adaptors and use those to drive your amps and use the line level to drive your monitor.

Digitec has had a long history of designing weak electronics in their rack gear. I have 4 of them an only one still works. The others all blew their power supplies and had catastrophic failures. Granted they've made improvements to their gear over the years by there's no way in hell I'd risk running them improperly, why ask for trouble. You load down that headphone jack, overheat the driver and take the chance on blowing the entire board. You have what you need to do the job right. Use it.

• Members

Well, the first thing I do is make sure my live tone sounds good. Then I add a little sound through the IEM to bring me up in the mix a bit so I can hear myself and the rest of the band. I like to hear myself louder since I play complicated parts I need to know I'm hitting them correctly. I know what I'm doing with respect to live sound vs. IEM. My question was about getting the system to work properly.

Thanks for the advice about line level. I'll look into it. Now some advice for you. Don't be so damn condescending. Information and advice is fine but your opinion isn't really what I was looking for.

• Members
. . . Thanks for the advice about line level. I'll look into it. Now some advice for you. Don't be so damn condescending. Information and advice is fine but your opinion isn't really what I was looking for.

First, welcome to the world of dealing with WRGKMC. He frequently has good advice but it's often buried in a wall of text designed to make him look smart. Second, a lot of amps have a headphone output that doubles as a "line out" so the mismatch isn't as bad as you may have been led to believe. Don't go crazy with your levels and you'll be fine. I do understand what you're talking about; I play in a praise band and our lead singer goes nuts if the amps are turned up to the point that we can actually hear them. Thankfully, I normally play acoustic so it isn't as much of a problem but let me bring my electric and . . . oh, boy.

• Members

Thanks DeepEnd. So looking at the diagram from my unit it looks like the headphone out and the 1/4" out are running on their own circuit so I don't see much of an issue with running both and doing any damage. I could be wrong since I'm not an electrical engineer by trade. I also figured they would warn against it in the manual if it really was a big problem. I'm just going to stay the course and if it breaks then I have an excuse to upgrade. So far it's turned out to be really nice and I am surprised a lot more people aren't trying something like this. Even during rehearsal it's great. I originally got the idea from our singer running headphones from the PA during rehearsal so he could hear himself better. He used a Rolls PM50S for live work. If your singer doesn't move around a lot then they are perfect as long as they can handle a dry signal.

fetch?filedataid=121353

Archived