Cracks between speaker dome and cone?

Perforated

• Members

I recently purchased a EVM12l in a sealed back Mesa 1x12 on ebay, and it arrived and I think it sounds good, but I'm curious about some cracks/marks I see between the dome and the speaker cone, are these normal for a used speaker? Or should I be concerned? Unfortunately Mesa speaker cloth is a pain to get a photo through, so it shows up smoother on the pictures that it looks to the eye. I find it hard to believe someone blew out a 200W speaker with only one input jack, but I wonder if the sealed cabinet was too small or something? Are there any ways to know for sure? Should I drop by a music store to ask them?

Imgur album of the best I could do throught the grill cloth. I feel to my eye they look more like gaps, rather than just rough glue, but I don't know. :\

• Members

Could be a poor glue job. How old is the speaker? Has it been re-coned? I purchased two EVM12L baskets over twenty-five years ago, had them re-coned for $65 each and they have held up to a silverface Fender Twin with the master volume in both a sealed cabinet and a new open-back cabinet playing the muddiest, loudest crap before I learned better and later played very clean and loud. Sold the Twin, but I use the EV's in single, third-open-back 14" cube cabinets plugged into individual Crate PowerBlocks and they are still very clean, very loud (very heavy at 25 pounds each) and still have a full range.

If you were to take them to a shop, they would either apply more glue or re-cone them (payment up front, of course). If I were you, after playing cleanly at loud and soft volumes - listening carefully for crackling, etc., I would see what you can do to remove the grille or unload the speaker, search the web or ask EV what they use or recommend for the dome-to-cone glue and apply the glue sparingly yourself. Let it dry for at least a day, unless the glue's directions (or EV's) say more. I'm sure there are youtube DIY videos of the process, just get to the point where the dome cover is glued in. If you're broke, don't care (?) or you're looking for the sound of Dave Davies' "green amp" (with razor blade cuts in the cone), just get some clear aquarium adhesive and spread a little in the gap to seal it (works on cracks in the cone and in the suspension folds around the edge, if they'e not too far gone (and you're so broke you wish you could afford McDonald's).

There is a test where you gently push in on the cone to be sure you still have travel, but that's only used to see if you have indeed blown the speaker or to evaluate a purchase (it should move smoothly). If it still gives you clean signals at volume, this is probably not an issue.

• Members

You can always have it looked at but as long as the dome isn't loose it should be okay. I've seen something similar with a used Celestion. Aquarium adhesive like harryevan mentioned is silicone caulk. You can find small squeeze tubes marketed as glue so you won't need to buy a lot. Gasket cement should work too. Take a good look at your Mesa cab and figure out which side the speaker is mounted from. I'm not familiar enough with Mesa stuff to know. If the speaker is mounted from the back, the cab should have a number of screws holding the back on. You can take the speaker out and reglue the dome if necessary.

• Members

Based on what you guys have said, I've done some cranked Mark IV into it today, and I don't hear crackling, so I'm going to assume she's fine. Thanks for the information on regluing potential and pricing. I'm not broke, so if the cracks get any worse, It's great to know my options. I appreciate the detailed responses to educate someone like me who knows little to nothing about speakers, only about amp wiring. :)

The guy I bought it from said he's open to refund and a ship back if I'm too worried, but this has made me feel very good about it. She sounds great - I just wanted to be sure! It was a great deal, compared to most mesa cabs with EVM's, since I got it about $150 less on auction.

​Thanks again, you guys are the best!

• Members

Those dust cones are just glued into place. If the glue cracks away you'll hear it. You can buy the liquid glue here if you need it. You can brush around the edge if you need to.

Unless you can lift the dust cap away from the cone with a needle, I wouldn't worry about it. The original glue is still holding it in place

MG-8337-55ML.jpg

http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product...FQctaQodPOILPQ

Archived