Anyone tried the Eurotubes integrated quads for 5150's?

Bloodjinn

• Members

It about time for me to swap tubes again in the ol' 5150. I've had the original Svetlana's, groove tubes, and most recently Groove Tubes 6l6s/kt66's in my amp.

The Eurotubes' 6L6GC/kt-88 integrated quads for stock 5150's really have peaked my interest. Has anyone tried these out yet in their 5150?

• Members

El34's sound like ass in a 5150. 6550's sound like ass in a 5150. I haven't tried KT88's but I can't see them sounding very good. That's my opinion anyway YMMV.

They will damage the amp if the amp isn't modified for them. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

If the bias isn't modified for the KT88 you're wasting your money. It's like owning a Corvette and never driving it over 30mph.

Jerry

• Members

I actually plan on getting this integrated quad setup once I get enough money. It supposively really increases and tightens up the low end, and cleans up the clean channel because it gives it more head room. Bob from Eurotubes says a bias mod is not needed because and that it is plug and play for a stock 5150.

ps- Bloodjinn kicks ass.... been a fan for quite a while :)

• Members

Originally posted by Whackmaster63

Bob over at eurotubes says plug and play i repeat PLUG AND PLAY

Is this possible i dont know what to think of that statement

Ask him to put it in writing that it won't damage the amp. He didn't learn his lesson with the E34L's in the XXX I guess.

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by JerryP

Ask him to put it in writing that it won't damage the amp. He didn't learn his lesson with the E34L's in the XXX I guess.

Jerry

Yeah, Bob is a knowledgable, friendly guy but he gave me a different answer over the phone than what his website said about the e34l's in the XXX. Oddly enough a couple months later his website changed as well. Get your tubes from Doug!

• Members

El34's sound like ass in a 5150. 6550's sound like ass in a 5150. I haven't tried KT88's but I can't see them sounding very good. That's my opinion anyway YMMV.

They will damage the amp if the amp isn't modified for them. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

If the bias isn't modified for the KT88 you're wasting your money. It's like owning a Corvette and never driving it over 30mph.

Jerry

Thanks for the info, Jerry. Your opinion, plus the fact that no one else seems to have tried these will probably keep me from buying them. I can't deal with tubes that may or may not fry my amp when I'm on the opposite coast from my home playing shows!

Trey

• Members

Originally posted by AlexWade

I actually plan on getting this integrated quad setup once I get enough money. It supposively really increases and tightens up the low end, and cleans up the clean channel because it gives it more head room. Bob from Eurotubes says a bias mod is not needed because and that it is plug and play for a stock 5150.

ps- Bloodjinn kicks ass.... been a fan for quite a while
:)

Hit me up once you get them and let me know how they work out for you. The idea sounds pretty sweet, but I can't deal with possible tube problems on tour. Thanks for the kind words, bro!

Treyu

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

Yeah, Bob is a knowledgable, friendly guy but he gave me a different answer over the phone than what his website said about the e34l's in the XXX. Oddly enough a couple months later his website changed as well. Get your tubes from Doug!

If I had a nickle for every guy that didn't listen to what Peavey said about those tubes and what I posted on froums I'd have a few bucks. I can't count how many frantic emails I got from guys that had their amps die on them.

Bob sells tubes, JJ tubes, they're good stuff as long as you're getting what the amp was designed to use. They don't just pop into a circuit they weren't designed to go in.

JJ's are great tubes, but there are other great tubes too. That comes down to personal preference.

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by Bloodjinn

Thanks for the info, Jerry. Your opinion, plus the fact that no one else seems to have tried these will probably keep me from buying them. I can't deal with tubes that may or may not fry my amp when I'm on the opposite coast from my home playing shows!

Trey

Grab the JJ 6L6's from him and you'll be set.

Jerry

• Members

If I had a nickle for every guy that didn't listen to what Peavey said about those tubes and what I posted on froums I'd have a few bucks. I can't count how many frantic emails I got from guys that had their amps die on them.

Bob sells tubes, JJ tubes, they're good stuff as long as you're getting what the amp was designed to use. They don't just pop into a circuit they weren't designed to go in.

JJ's are great tubes, but there are other great tubes too. That comes down to personal preference.

Jerry

Actually Jerry, you were the reason I upgraded my resistors so much thanks!

Archived