No announcement yet.

Marshall: Plexi or JMP/JCM800?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall: Plexi or JMP/JCM800?

Been thinking of going through a rig change. I'm looking for something that can get me some tones like Down, the Sword, Mastadon, Sabbath, etc. I'm kinda looking for something that I can clean up with my volume knob and then get nasty with a boost pedal. Which would be better for cleans...err.... decent cleans? They don't have to be sparkling, but something chimey would be nice.

I'm thinking that a Plexi version would be better off than a JMP or 800, but I don't know if a 50 watt or 100 watt would be better or if I should look for a Superlead or a Superbass. What's the main difference between the Lead and Bass versions?
    Les Paul CustomZhangbuckersHomebrew ampsGreenbacksBlackbacksAssorted Pedals

you probably want a mid-70s Superlead (that's the JMPs, but they're still called Superleads up until the JCM800s come out), and a serious boost.

a more recent Laney might get you where you want as well, since one of the guys in Mastodon uses them, as well as Iommi since, well, forever.
    It's so safe to play along
    Little soldiers in a row
    Falling in and out of love
    Something sweet to throw away.
    I want something good to die for
    To make it beautiful to live.

I want a new mistake, lose is more than hesitate.

Comment

im all about the original plexis if you have the cash for one
      50watter through a quad of greenbacks please
      Guitars: USA Peavey Wolfgang, MIJ Ibanez SCA220, Squier Telecaster Custom, Taylor 110e
      Amps: 1989 Peavey VTM60, 1969 Sunn Sceptre
      Cabs Avatar Vintage 4x12 w/ WGS Green Berets, Basson Vertical Slant 2x12 w/ Eminence Legends
      Pedals Korg Pitchblack, BBE Green Screamer, BAT Pharaoh Fuzz, MXR Carbon Copy, Line 6 Echo Park

Comment

How about a DSL? It does the Down thing really well and it a bit more versatile that the other amps you mentioned.
        PROLETARIAT

Originally Posted by Norton666

Man , Ive held off replying to any Klops threads because its kind of like the sweet , naive retarded kid down the street who is out putting in hours on his pogo stick every single night with dreams of someday going pro . You have to admire his ambition and determination , but at some point , he will realize he is retarded and there isnt a pro pogo stick league. I just dont wanna be the guy to tell him . Wait...............

Comment

Are you looking for click of a button clean? Or roll off the volume clean? Even with a good boost/od/dist/fuzz Plexis and JMPs benefit from being CRANKED so you'll have to roll your volume on the guit back to get a clean sound, it isn't the best bit it works well and the roar you get when you roll that volume back up will put a smile on your face.

But if you're looking for something where you can hit a pedal and get a clean sound look at the others suggestions such as Laney or a DSL and such.
          There is no order in the world, save what death has put there.

Billows
          Fender::Matamp::Acoustic

Comment

Look out for a laney klipp. it'll do you proud
            DCC Engineering. Custom Cabs and Effects.

Originally Posted by -Assy-

Okay I summed up this entire thread in three posts. Let's go home and beat our children.

Comment

I forgot about the Laneys. I should probably look for one of those. Iommi used the Supergroup for a long time as well as Oranges.

As far as cleans, I don't mind using the guitar volume to roll of the grit. I would use a boost for the heavy stuff, though. Maybe a TS9 or a SD1 or something.

I figure maybe a 50 watt Superbass or Superlead with my Greenback cab or G12H-30 cab would be sweet with a good boost.
              Les Paul CustomZhangbuckersHomebrew ampsGreenbacksBlackbacksAssorted Pedals

Comment

Laney PTL

Comment

I forgot about the Laneys. I should probably look for one of those. Iommi used the Supergroup for a long time as well as Oranges.

As far as cleans, I don't mind using the guitar volume to roll of the grit. I would use a boost for the heavy stuff, though. Maybe a TS9 or a SD1 or something.

I figure maybe a 50 watt Superbass or Superlead with my Greenback cab or G12H-30 cab would be sweet with a good boost.

Iommi never used oranges. Superbass or Superlead? Only if youve got lots of tolerance for volume or a ppimv. Laneys are probably the most unsung amps out there though.
                  Formerly known as Spoonie G.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7874/spoileri.jpg

Comment

JMPs and Plexis are clean amps. That means they dont have any distortion. They break up and get dirty when you crank them, but I cant imagine you or anyone around you will have the tolerance for a cranked JMP. The great thing about them is that they LOVE pedals. I cant imagine using anything else.
                    JCM 800s on the other hand do have a built in gain control. You will still need a boost to get the tones you are looking for. Down recorded their first album and their newest with JCM 800s. They are also their main touring amp(second album tour and overseas on this tour they used Randalls)
                    You will love either amp, but as some folks have said, dont overlook the DSL. It can get you there without a boost and right now , you can get them for a really good price.
                    ----------------------------------------
                    1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom- Wine Red
                    1971 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
                    1995 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                    2010 Fender American Tele
                    2011 Fender Am. Std Strat
                    1984 Marshall JCM 800 2203
                    1974 Marshall JMP Superlead
                    Orange Rockerverb 100 MK II
                    Peavey JSX
                    Peavey XXX
                    Line 6 Spider IV 75 (2) for the cover band
                    Orange cabs
                    Beer & Whiskey

Comment

the last Down album was mostly boosted jcm 800 and a bogner (they didn't mention which model, but I suppose it was a Shiva)

I've read they were using a Quickrod live, but with fake headshells with a german weird thing written on them
                      "Riffengirsch" or something
                      but I think the Quickrod is too articulated and focused to do their tone
                      a JCM with some bright cap and gain mods will probably get you closer

by the way, when are you going to sell me the gunmetal gray les paul?
                      I still dream about her
                      Gibson Les Paul Custom 1973 (Bare Knuckle Black Dog/The Mule)
                      Gibson SG Worn Chrome (Bare Knuckle Riff Raff/Cold Sweat)
                      Paul Reed Smith CE-22 (Seymour Duncan Custom Shop El Diablo)
                      Hurricane Les Paul Custom (Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat)
                      Marshall JMP Lead 1973 (50w, heavily modded)
                      Zambelli Hyperdrive 50
                      Jet City JCA20H
                      Vox AC4TV8
                      Marshall 1960A (MG Music Black Dog x Scumback H75 speakers)

Comment

Splawn?

That's Jimmy Bower when he was with Superjoint.

Don't know what the model of that is, though.
                        Originally Posted by Nancy_Pelosi

I have a vagina.

Originally Posted by Romanian Reaper

I'm in the military and consider myself to be a pretty diehard American. I get mad when the flag is burned, I tear up everytime I hear the National Anthem, etc.

That guitar is absolutely horrible and makes me want to shave my head, grow a Lenin beard, and rebuild the Berlin Wall.

Originally Posted by jnurp

of course user error, i ****************ing suck.

My tunes

Comment

I can't decide if that guitar is ugly as sin or alright looking, it looks WAY too clean though. ESP?

Billows

Comment

I can't decide if that guitar is ugly as sin or alright looking, it looks WAY too clean though. ESP?

looks like a big bunch of redneck to me.
                            Formerly known as Spoonie G.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7874/spoileri.jpg

Comment

looks like a big bunch of redneck to me.

oke:

Billows

Comment

Working...
                              X