TH30 Chinese made Orange vs AD30 British made Orange - Map Pr0n

Ron Burgandy

• Members

Let's start with the TH30:

transformer set from the Dual Terror.

Orange018.jpg

white chassis:

Orange012.jpg

they didn't bother cleaning up the pcb's where they had been snapped out of the mold:

Orange009.jpg

Orange004.jpg

and one big pcb:

Orange005.jpg

reminds me of my old Tweaker. not a bad thing, but holy shit is it busy in there.

Orange007.jpg

next, the AD30.

• Members

Thats not bad looking at all, yea its a lil busy but looks like its decent amp build and quality

I think Orange was one of the first MAPS to do the asian build thing and do it in small tube maps/wattage, i have played the Tiny Terror on several occasions and it sounds like a real nice british grind to me, im not sure how liked or loved the amp is but damn that thing sounds great on a 2X12 or 4X12

Looking foward to the other pics

:love:

• Members

as far as I know, the PCB's for both were made in China. the AD30 was assembled in the UK while the TH30 was assembled entirely in China. :idk:

they both pretty different from the Tiny Terror, however if I had to choose I'd say the AD30 is actually closer in tone. the TH30 was a modern high gainer, with a dedicated clean channel.

• Members

Oo ok i just saw them, it looks like the english made are meatier and slightly better components

I played a AD 30 head at my local G.C. recently and it was a inconsistent bitch for sure, one day it would sounds like pure tits and the next day it would be meeehhh/so-so/whats all the fuss about. I wish it had a loop also

Hey Dave Have u made any clips of the newer guy AD30 yet? and whats going on with your just aquired TH30?

:idk:

• Members

I sold the th30 a couple days ago. Was too high gain for me. I was having good luck with it, but this worked out right. I wasn't opposed to keeping it by any means and I'd gladly play through one again. I never made a fuss over the clean channel because it was too clean for me.

However, in my realm, the ad30 is a better fit. Had nothing to do with made in china vs Britain. :)

• Members

Looks like it is maybe three years older than my AD30HTC.

Wow -- I just looked at the price for a new one: $1379 discounted at Humbucker. I picked mine up, used only one month, for $900 + shipping.

Dang, that's a good deal. Mine was $720 but it's been loved on quite a bit :lol:

Cigarette burn, tolex is faded orange (not highway dept orange like the th30 was!) and dirt/grime.

Last week I told my drummer to take his beer off my th30. I felt so lame because I had never cared before due to never owning new amps. With the grungy ad30 I can go back to not giving a shit.

• Members

I thought you hated the ad30?

I thought I did too. Turns out I still just hate v30's :idk:

I can't tell you how close the twin channel is to the single channel because I've never played em through the same type of speakers. They're supposed to be identical, but which channel on the tc is like my single channel?

Eh, fuck it, I was just wrong again. I like it a whole bunch now. :idk:

• Members

I thought I did too. Turns out I still just hate v30's

I can't tell you how close the twin channel is to the single channel because I've never played em through the same type of speakers. They're supposed to be identical, but which channel on the tc is like my single channel?

Eh, fuck it, I was just wrong again. I like it a whole bunch now.

Channel 1 on the AD30HTC should be the same as the single channel AD30

• Members

Which input does the twin channel have?

The hi input is harsh with my Fenders. Overly bright and a bit too much high end. Lo is just right with bite but not harsh. Not a huge difference but the hi is just a bit too much.

I might just need to revisit the twin channel head through a familiar cabinet.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

My bud and I repair some of these. Biggest faults are the lack of solder on the higher power resistors. The 470 and 150 ohm ones heat up and get loose. One was loose enough to burn the pc underside. Some are intermittent enough to just burn open the resistors which are not near the quality as other vendors imo.

FWIW I find the same problems on the newer Fender RI amps, Peavey VK and Classic Series. Lots of bad connections and cheaper selections of components.

My bud calls most of these amps "job security" for his shop.

• Members

^That said I'd put up the clean channel on my TH30 up against almost any boutique EL-84 amp. The TH30, even the clean channel, is that good.

Also, on the first page of this thread, in the picture of the TH30 board where it says "one big PCB" - look at the lower right corner of the picture. I think that is a second PCB inside the TH30.

As far as build quality - I think it is very good and the likelihood is that, if something is going to go wrong, it's going to go wrong within the 2 year warranty period. I'm not worried about it.

Archived