Do boutique amps have poor resale value?

WoodenDuckMaker

• Members

It seems to me like they do. At least when selling locally. I'm addicted to looking at Craigslist's music instruments section, and boutique amps seem to sit forever.

It just seems like very few people have knowledge on these obscure amps, and so they are hesitant to pay the high prices they go for. People don't know if a certain champ clone was just made by some schmuck in his garage with a pre built kit, or by a legitimate company.

The reason why I ask is because I might want to get a boutique amp in the future, but worry about taking a huge hit if I have to resell it. And I always prefer to sell amps locally because they are a bizzo to ship.

Anyone who's sold used boutique amps, chime in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've talked to shop owners who say they don't even want "boutique" gear in trade because it will sit there forever because the average schmuck doesn't recognize the name. So they can't give the trader anywhere near what the item is actually worth because they can't sell it for anywhere near what it is actually worth.

Which raises the question... What IS it actually worth?

• Members

That *is* a good question.

Personally, I've tried to disregard brand/prestige/heritage and just get whatever sounded best to me and seemed to be up to snuff in quality.

My guitars are all asian, but they're terrific to play, sound good, and I've had most of them for 10+ years. The amps I've had have ranged from expensive to dirt cheap, and I've had mixed experiences with all of them.

Stuff is worth what people pay for it, and like everything else, often people pay more for brand names. Like I said earlier, I think everything in the musical instrument world outside of fine violins, collectible guitars, and antique pianos have relatively poor resale value.

• Members

isitnormal? wrote:

The amp I remember trading was a Mesa Tremoverb. Is that boutique?

I bought a Mesa T Verb back in the mid 90's. What an amazing amp. The clean was spectacular that od was sweet, but not super high gain.

Mine was a 2x12 combo. I sold it only a few years ago, only because it weighed in at 98 lbs.

Mine was in mint shape, it was so heavy, I used other amps playing out.

IMG\_0305.JPG

• Members

skibob wrote:

I've talked to shop owners who say they don't even want "boutique" gear in trade because it will sit there forever because the average schmuck doesn't recognize the name. So they can't give the trader anywhere near what the item is actually worth because they can't sell it for anywhere near what it is actually worth.

Which raises the question... What IS it actually worth?

Well...You actually answered your own question there. It's worth whatever it sells for, sorry. 

Though I would guess that the average guitar shop might not be the best place to sell a boutique amp. A niche product would probably be better off in a niche store, a vintage/boutique shop of some sort. Or even better: Ebay/CL/TGP/etc.

Also, there's different levels of 'boutique' imo. Some companies/builders don't have the name and fame of others. Selling a custom made amp from a new small business that's totally unknown even to other geeky boutique fans = Good luck. 

Archived