Need help with developing/disciplining voice

bambinoflex

• Members

Hey everybody, new member here. I've been struggling with disciplining my voice for a long time. That being, singing unassisted and singing while playing guitar. I sing almost constantly in my car. I can project, hit on key, add some style, etc., but as soon as I'm home my voice locks up. If I were to try one of the songs I just sang while driving it would sound like a dying wildebeast. In addition, I just CANNOT sing while playing guitar. I've been playing for 13 years and can hold my own, but it falls apart as soon as I try to sing (which actually sounds worse than singing straight up unassisted). For example, just before joining this forum I tried to play Neil Young - Harvest and Heart of Gold (which I know quite well), but it was just embarassing. It's funny though, because sometimes if I'm joking around my voice comes alive. For example, I've been known to jokingly belt out a Pavorotti-esque rendition of "O Holy Night," and it usually gets some positive attention. So, could it be partly psycological? Do any of you more experienced singers have some advice for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

• Moderators

I think this is a case of 'acoustical deception'. You've been too use to singing in a specific acoustical environment for too long. Singing in a car while driving isn't that good in my opinion. You're limited to a small and confined space that is fairly deadened and dry sounding. There's actually nowhere for the sound to project to, so you might not be aware how your voice will behave in an open acoustical environment. A good singer needs to learn how to sing based on 'sensation' rather than listening too much to your own sound.

Also if you're strapped back with a seatbelt then your posture is affected as well. You will need to lean your torso slightly forward to get a good posture.

• Members

Oh man, I know how it is with singing and playing guitar.  It's not easy.  I still have trouble with it from time to time.  My advice is to get the guitar parts really good before you try singing with it.  Then, when you do start putting them together, do it very slow.  As slow as you have to do it to get the rhythm and everything.  The more you do it, the more you get accustomed to it.  That's what worked for me.

Archived