Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do that is detrimental to your voice, but you still do it?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do that is detrimental to your voice, but you still do it?

So? C'mon people, let's be honest here. I'm sure we all do SOMETHING that we know makes our voices potentially suck, but we can't help but do it still?

For me, it's

1. Smoking

2. Drinking dairy-based things immediately before singing (I know. STUPID! But I get hungry at the same time I tend to get free space at home to sing, and always crave dairy cause it's filling but low fat)

All things must pass...

Smoking for me mainly....and alcohol of course
    I like when they say a movie is inspired by a true story. That's kind of silly. "Hey, did you hear that story about that lady who drove her car into the lake with her kids and they all drowned?" "Yeah, I did, and you know what - that inspires me to write a movie about a gorilla!"

My Band

My YouTube Channel

My Cover Tunes

Comment

Do you recall, my dear friend, several months (if a year) ago, we both declared we had quit smoking? What the hell happened!? lol
      All things must pass...

Comment

I know right?...I have no willpower. Lol
        I like when they say a movie is inspired by a true story. That's kind of silly. "Hey, did you hear that story about that lady who drove her car into the lake with her kids and they all drowned?" "Yeah, I did, and you know what - that inspires me to write a movie about a gorilla!"

My Band

My YouTube Channel

My Cover Tunes

Comment

Me neither. Sucks, don't it? lol
          All things must pass...

Comment

Smoking for me mainly....and alcohol of course

Wait, what? Alcohol is bad for your voice?
            Vocal Gear: Audix OM3xb, Boss VE-20 | Synth Gear: TBD | Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Roland AX7

Comment

Well, I've stopped drinking and I mostly smoked when it was illegal for me to do so, so now the worst thing I do is drink dairy immediately before and during my vocal "practice".. I just love milk, man.. I'm so hard core.. lol

Comment

I stopped drinking years ago, and it helped.

I'm still guilty of an iced mocha habit... caffeine and milk being a double no-no.

However, I notice no detrimental effects from the mochas, and even drink them during 5hr gigs, so I must be resistant/immune to vocal dairy/coffee issues.

One thing... I CANNOT eat popcorn within about 24 hours of a gig. If I sing after eating popcorn, it introduces coughing fits. Talking is fine, but singing? Popcorn REALLY jacks me up.
                Talking about music is like dancing about architecture. - Martin Mull

Comment

I stopped drinking years ago, and it helped.

I'm still guilty of an iced mocha habit... caffeine and milk being a double no-no.

However, I notice no detrimental effects from the mochas, and even drink them during 5hr gigs, so I must be resistant/immune to vocal dairy/coffee issues.

One thing... I CANNOT eat popcorn within about 24 hours of a gig. If I sing after eating popcorn, it introduces coughing fits. Talking is fine, but singing? Popcorn REALLY jacks me up.

Popcorn, huh? That's rather peculiar, if I must say. Another thing to avoid, I guess. lol I think I've trained my voice to sing decently even after consuming things that'd be detrimental to my vocal health..

Comment

Popcorn, huh? That's rather peculiar, if I must say. Another thing to avoid, I guess. lol I think I've trained my voice to sing decently even after consuming things that'd be detrimental to my vocal health..

Yeah, I can eat salty chips, basically just about anything, but no popcorn. Strange thing is, I can drink water afterward all I want, and I still have the coughing problem.

Comment

At parties, I find dancing boring as fck unless I can sing my heart out. And, my technique being what it is, I tend to get hoarse in about two songs.

Still do it everytime, because of reasons.

I'm Masklin. How was your day?

Comment

At parties, I find dancing boring as fck unless I can sing my heart out. And, my technique being what it is, I tend to get hoarse in about two songs.

Still do it everytime, because of reasons.

Please post video...

My Band

My YouTube Channel

My Cover Tunes

Comment

I didn't know that coffee was bad.
                          DINOSAUR ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guide: how to ruin someone's day

Comment

Not practicing as much as I should..

Should make a point to practice at least an hour a day. But would end up doing things like practicing 20 mins or practicing 3 hours straight then skip a day or two.

Oh yeah, eating late is another one...
                            Moderator - The Singer's Forum
                            Follow me on Twitter and Soundcloud

Comment

I didn't know that coffee was bad.

Caffeine is a diuretic, so it has a dehydrating effect, including the voice.

Comment

Working...
                              X