Head voice for females. Help!

• Members

In the vid below I hit just about the highest note I can while keeping my volume loud enough to be without a mic. My teacher is working with me on 'finding my head voice' and says it will be very high after I get the technique down. :confused:

Any suggestions on going from my 'chest voice' to my 'head voice' without losing the volume?

Thanks.:)

[video=youtube;1649GGVczVs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1649GGVczVs

• Moderators

Hi Elena :wave:

Generally speaking, female voices are usually trained from 'top to bottom'. Most female voices are head voice dominant. So instead of trying to push and reach for notes, you should try starting from your higher head voice and drag the head voice down to your low register. If you keep on pushing your chest/low register then you can cause an imbalance between your registers and may result in a huge break or gap in the voice.

There's exercises where the female voice starts with a light and high 'oo' sound and while on a descending scale, bring that head voice down to your low register.

I hope this helps :)

• Members

Herp depr.

I just thought I'd mention that most of the people on this forum regard 'head voice' as a separate register, rather than the sensation of resonance in your head.

You know the sound that guys can make which comes across as female-ish? That's called falsetto and is what you need to find and then master in order to expand your range upwards (I'm assuming here that you've brought your normal speaking voice as high as you can - because if you haven't, you shouldn't worry about falsetto or head voice just yet).

If you need someone to mimic, check out artists like Marina & the Diamonds, Imogen Heap and Sinead O'Connor (spelling?) for example (they often jump from chest to falsetto and back).

Good luck!

• Members

I will say though...when you sang "I know that he is BLIND"...that blind note, it sounded almost like head voice, to me...and you got the same volume on that as you'd had earlier...and also "I'm learning" the I'M...you seem to be in head voice ok...strong, you know? And that end "Known"...that was good too...they all sound a BIT forceful maybe...but strong and good.

• Members

In the vid below I hit just about the highest note I can while keeping my volume loud enough to be without a mic. My teacher is working with me on 'finding my head voice' and says it will be very high after I get the technique down.
:confused:

Any suggestions on going from my 'chest voice' to my 'head voice' without losing the volume?

Thanks.
:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1649GGVczVs

You sound great.. I wouldnt Stress about it

• Moderators

This is a bit odd. Usually women have trouble finding their chest voice. Most are stuck in head voice...
:idk:

Hmm.. I think the women who are "stuck" in chest voice are those who use a more speech-level singing approach. Since they base everything off of 'speech', which is usually their chest register.

• Members

@grace_slick

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I have been at Summer Camp all week!!!

I will ask my voice teacher if I was in head voice during "blind" "I'm" and "Known"

He is an opera singer and is having me do a lot of drills to work my head voice.

Thank you for the feedback!!!

• Members

That’s ok! I forgot about this thread until now.

I’m not sure if those particular notes WERE in head voice or not, but they sounded excellent anyway. They may well have been in chest voice…I’m not the one to ask about these things though, as I know nothing and can’t even FIND my chest voice! Lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just thought I'd let you know... I have been using some drills and I'm getting good results with my head voice.

Do you find that your voice gets less volume when you get into your 'head voice'? Mine is getting more volume lately but it is still less than with my 'chest voice'. :|

Thanks, Elena.

• Members

This is a bit odd. Usually women have trouble finding their chest voice. Most are stuck in head voice...
:idk:

Not really. Roger Love targeted a lot of his book Raise Your Voice at women stuck in chest voice. And I notice at church most people don't sing or sing soft and low because they can't get up to the soprano range of the songs. I was the same way until my teacher encouraged me to go ahead and sing and not to try to find a low harmony, and he had me do a lot of work in the mezzo-soprano range.

I even read the old novel Mildred Pierce recently, which was written by a frustrated opera singer, and there was some funny stuff near the end where a voice teacher complained that Pierce's daughter Veda came to him singing only in chest voice and sounding "just like a man"...he makes her into a star coloratura in 6 months. That part was pretty purely fiction. :rolleyes:

• Moderators

Just thought I'd let you know... I have been using some drills and I'm getting good results with my head voice.

Do you find that your voice gets less volume when you get into your 'head voice'? Mine is getting more volume lately but it is still less than with my 'chest voice'. :|

Thanks, Elena.

I've also been practicing my head voice. Generally head voice has less volume, but over time your head voice will start to match your chest voice.

• Members

I've also been practicing my head voice. Generally head voice has less volume, but over time your head voice will start to match your chest voice.

My head voice has actually gotten louder than my chest voice. It's kinda cool...I've got my bandmates fooled, they think I'm screaming my guts out, lol. Bty, I'm beating you to 1000 posts Davie! :D

• Moderators

My head voice has actually gotten louder than my chest voice. It's kinda cool...I've got my bandmates fooled, they think I'm screaming my guts out, lol. Bty, I'm beating you to 1000 posts Davie!
:D

Lol.. My count was always higher than yours too. I've been slacking on the forums. But I think today I gained like 20 posts.

No non-sense posts! Called it! :p

:rolleyes:

You and your damn soprano head voice!

• Members

Lol.. My count was always higher than yours too. I've been slacking on the forums. But I think today I gained like 20 posts.

No non-sense posts! Called it!
:p

:rolleyes:

You and your damn soprano head voice!

The day I can nail an effortless C6, I will be a happy man! Ok, serious posts start........now :lol:

• Members

My head voice has actually gotten louder than my chest voice. It's kinda cool...I've got my bandmates fooled, they think I'm screaming my guts out, lol. Bty, I'm beating you to 1000 posts Davie!
:D

My first voice teacher showed me my head voice was actually louder than chest with the meter on a recorder. It really spikes up, but I think it's because high frequencies just come off louder. Quality is another thing entirely. :mad:

• Members

My first voice teacher showed me my head voice was actually louder than chest with the meter on a recorder. It really spikes up, but I think it's because high frequencies just come off louder. Quality is another thing entirely.
:mad:

This is true, I guess with the higher pitch and the resonance, head voice cuts a lot more than chest.

• Members

I think you and me are opposites...I can't find my chest voice properly, but can ONLY do the light verging on falsetto head voice. Ugh! lol

Hi everybody, I haven't been around for quite a while! I moved to a small town in the Northern West Virginia pan handle... a little more than an hour Southwest of Pittsburgh (can we say "Yee-Haw!"? LOL) and then after 10 months there, I moved back to Florida - where I promptly caught the flu, which triggered a 4-month battle with bronchitis thanks to all the oak trees releasing their polled early this year..

LOVELY!! LOL

But I am glad to be back in "civilization". lol (I was staying with friends and getting my certification as a Hypnotherapist.)

Grace,

Do you speak in a light voice that is airy and falsetto like? Or do you sing in your speaking voice? Normally, your speaking voice is your chest voice.

Anyone who has trained classically knows that men sing everything in Chest, and generally are cut off at the Passagio, and in fact are discouraged from singing about Passagio (typically the E F G range just above C4 for men), while women only sing in Head Voice. Now, in some German singing, Women do sing in Chest - Think of that really guttural Low German woman's voice.

Robert Lunte - great instructor - likes to say that when singing in head voice it gives the illusion of middle voice when you are singing through the Passagio or "break". I disagree.

You only have one voice, but you can resonate in Chest, Head, or both at the same time in varying degrees as you move from Chest to Head.

Of course, this seems to go against the old school way of thinking, but the "old school way of thinking" also declared the Earth to be Flat and anyone who disagreed was a criminal!

All the Passagio is, is a weak spot in your vocal cords because you have not utilized that area much. That is why it "cracks" - you simply haven';t developed the strength to maintain the position of that note, and that is why when you begin working on that area, your break doesn't just "disappear" it tends to slide up in pitch.... so once you develop the region where you had a break, you will then have to work on the next region. It is just like lifting weights. Before you lift, you can only lift XX amount of weight (the break) once you reach that set point, you then will have a higher one, and you just keep moving on up - IF you are training correctly.

You have chest voice, you are just weak in it and choose not to use it because "oh my god, the neighbors will hear me."

Do this experiment, stand up tighten up the muscle you use to control the flow of urine (the PC or Kegel Muscle) and Yell Hey like you are trying to yell at somebody across a football field.

The odds are - you just did that in chest voice.

I would definitely implore you to buy a vocal training program from Roger Love, Al Koehn, Jaime Vendera, or any other REPUTABLE vocal instructors (I have training programs from all of them, and I train with all of them.)

It will be WELL worth the money spent, and generally you can get something from each of them for less than the price of an actual lesson, and it will get you going on the right track.

Al Koehn's program is great, really basic, easy to follow and produces results. He studied under Maestro David P. Kyle, who taught both Ann Wilson from Heart, and Geoff Tate from Queensryche.

You have a beautiful voice - I remember hearing some of your recordings last year - so I would implore you to look into this. Three months of daily training and you will look back t where you are now, and go"Man - I can't believe how much better my voice sounds?!" It is well worth it.

:thu:

• Members

In the vid below I hit just about the highest note I can while keeping my volume loud enough to be without a mic. My teacher is working with me on 'finding my head voice' and says it will be very high after I get the technique down.
:confused:

Thanks.
:)

Hi Elana,

One thing you have to keep in mind. As you go up in pitch, you have to lose the weight, think of your voice like a pyramid, the higher you go the thinner it will get - otherwise, as you pull the chest, you are doing the vocal equivalent of trying to jump up while holding a concrete block in each hand.

I always suggest starting with an E vowel sound, because it is the least air and it causes your cords to seal up correctly. Just start singing a sliding E and slide up and down though your range - forget notes. You don;t want to think in terms of defined pitches while doing this because you are trying to simply slide up and down as seamlessly as possible. When you start thinking in steps/notes, you are breaking up the voice into segments, and while it may not cause a physical break in the voice, your are setting your mind up to think of your voice like a set of stairs rather than a ramp at a n angle. The slower you go, the less steep the angle of the ramp, so practice the slides as slowly as possible.

• Members

Hey Consume, I’m pretty sure I remember you from before. Welcome back!

Nah, I don’t THINK I talk in a light, head voice…but I’m not sure. Lol. Others would have to tell me if I do or don’t.

See…Kate Bush, right? Here’s an example of one of her earlier (higher pitched) songs…VERY heady, right? Falsetto-like?

And here’s a clip of her talking back then. She TALKS like she sings. She still does, but she is 53 now so she’s lowered it a little since her younger days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgLUqxZc7mk

Then there’s Florence Welch from Florence & the Machine…here’s an example of a song…

And here’s her talking. She talks so quietly and not how she sings, you see? Although you can tell from her voice when both singing and talking that she COULD talk how she sings if she chose to. She seems to talk at a higher pitch than might be natural…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RpPVSxYQ30

Then you’ve got Stevie Nicks…song example below…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwnS_cGfaj4

And interview. Same voice as she sings with pretty much, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuPCUMoDc6M

So…yeah. Interesting. Lol.

• Members

You too Davie: Where's the best example of your highest note? Got a video or audio that shows it the best?:lol:

Archived