How to compress vocals on LogicPro and/or GarageBand?

Janice Yap

• Members

Hi Everyone!

When recording a powerful voice on LogicPro and/or GarageBand, what sort of compressors or settings in the compressor should we tweak so that the output of the voice is limited and will not explode into the red volume zone?

I understand logically that singing further away from the mic when singing loudly often does the job, but I've seen producers slap on a compressor of some sort that prevents the voice from "exploding" (and sounding distorted) without the singer having to pull themselves away from the mic - anyone know how to do this? Please share :)

• Moderators

Hi Janice,

I would recommend starting with a compression ratio of around 4:1, then adjust the threshold until you get about 4-8dB of gain reduction, though you may need to tweak the setting since every recording can be very different. That should help control the dynamics a bit. But if you're experiencing significant changes in volume, for example quiet verse to loud chorus, then I would recommend riding faders to write volume automation on various parts of the song. If you're dealing with a singer with a very bright sounding voice with a lot of high overtones then using a multiband compressor might be helpful, just use the compressor to target the ~6khz+ region, or you could also try a DeEsser.

Also just to make sure everything is covered, check to see if your input signal isn't peaking into the red, if your peak graphic is looking very large or almost box-like then there's not really any solution to remove distortion. If that's the issue then just lower the mic gain. If your microphone has a built-in -10db pad switch then try it out too.

If you've open to trying out some other plug-in software, you could try out 'Renaissance Vox' by Waves. Its one of my favourite plug-ins, its effective but very simple to use and get good results with.

Hope this helps.

• Members

Hello!

The compressor can be used with a variety of purposes, with this specific goal of not letting the input get above a certain limit, and (in your case) prevent clipping, its often called a limiter.

Problem is, if you do it on Logic or GarageBand (on the DAW), it would be post the problem and if the signal clipped on the input, you can't undo it. So you have two choices:

1 - Use a hardware limiter between the mic and the interface input;

2 - Adjust the gain so that the absolute maximum is well within the dynamic range of the interface and don't clip. This means that if the vocals are so dynamic as you mention, a lot of parts will become very quiet. Later you will have to use a compressor to tame these levels, and perhaps "ride" the faders/program a volume envelope to bring them all to a similar intensity (if that's the goal).

Not necessarily this thing people call "mic technique" is a good solution, moving away from the mic changes the response considerably, a condenser cardioid mic will happily start to pick up room reverb and may thin out in quality if you move away from it.

In my opinion, the best way to go is to set the gain low, and later do what you need to bring the volume up on the pre-mix (option 2). Cheaper and easier to tame.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived