Setting up feedback eliminator with powered mixer and monitors.

• Members

Alrighty.. I'm building this PA system more every week, so I'm still learning to set this stuff up as I go along. I need to understand where the feedback destroyer rack unit I am getting will fit into my setup.

Just as a quick background, this small PA will be used for our band's jam room. The wedges will be used mainly for vocals during band rehersals.

Relevant equipment:

- 2x Wharfdale 12" passive monitor wedges

- 1x Behringer PMX2000 powered mixer

- 1x 2 channel feedback destroyer (racked)

This is how I planned to do it, with what I know...

There are 2 powered outputs to the mixer, each 250W. I am going to put 1 monitor on each output. If we ever use this system in the future for a small-venue gig situation, I can chain the monitors and use 1 output (with the other output for the mains).

The mic (let's assume 1 person only will sing) will go into channel 1 on the mixer, let's say. The monitor out plug on the front of the mixer will go to the input of 1 channel on the feedback destroyer. The output for that channel on the feedback destroyer will go into the powered amp plug on the front of the mixer.

Pardon my ignorance if the powered amp inputs on the front of the mixer are for something else.

So.. if I'm correct, all mics/instruments going into the mixer will be output to the passive monitor out plug, which goes into the feedback destroyer, then back out into the monitor, then out the rear powered jacks into the monitors.

K. I'm ready for the reality check now :)

• Members

You've got the setup right - although a 31 band eq would be better than a FBX, take it from me, who learned the hard way:).

Although check the back of your PMX2000 - mine's not here right now, but above each output jack there will be LeftMain or RightMonitor. Make sure the L or R input channel corresponds with the monitor channel.

• Members

"Although check the back of your PMX2000 - mine's not here right now, but above each output jack there will be LeftMain or RightMonitor. Make sure the L or R input channel corresponds with the monitor channel."

Do you mean the powered amp inputs? There are L/R powered amp inputs, right? So, do I have to split the output of the FBX into both the L/R powered amp inputs?

Or, I could just say use the Left powered amp input, and the Left powered output to 2 chained wedges?

• Members

The PMX2000 has:

1 "Monitor" passive output

2 "Preamp" passive outputs (L/R or Mono)

2 Powered outputs (250W each)

We actually have the 2 preamp outputs going to a set of stereo speakers on another amp (just for use at the computer/mixer), so I was going to use the remaining "Monitor" plug for the output to the rack. I'm not sure the difference between the 1 "monitor" passive out compraed to the mono "preamp out"

• CMS Author

Originally posted by KipH

The PMX2000 has:

1 "Monitor" passive output

2 "Preamp" passive outputs (L/R or Mono)

2 Powered outputs (250W each)

We actually have the 2 preamp outputs going to a set of stereo speakers on another amp (just for use at the computer/mixer), so I was going to use the remaining "Monitor" plug for the output to the rack. I'm not sure the difference between the 1 "monitor" passive out compraed to the mono "preamp out"

Sounds as if the mono passive out would work fine. The monitor passive will also work, 6 of one, 1/2doz other.

BTW, not to burst your bubble, but a Peavey XR600F would have all the same features...2x200W, dual EQ, plus it has the Feedback Locating System built in. $449, and Peavey reliability.

• Members

Well, I got a refurb PMX2000 actually, and it was only $250 and has 10 channels. Peavey is probably more reliable, but for the amount I wanted to spend (not much, quick startup/jamroom mixer to learn on, no need for too much power) it was hard to resist.

• Members

The feedback destroyer belongs either where you got it or on Ebay for some other person looking for a magic wand. Not saying that they absolutely don't have a use,but too many beginners are using them as a crutch for lack of knowledge in setting up their equipment. You'll never learn how to do things unless you learn how to do things. Sounds stupid but it isn't. Get an EQ and learn how to use it,along with other methods of preventing and curing feedback problems.

• Members

you guys are being pretty harsh on the feedback destroyers....

I've used Sabine products with great success for quite a few years.... both with an EQ, and without...it depends on how simple a set-up I am packing....

after the EQ is set, and the FBX is engaged, the FBX is a great way to have a show without even ONE peep of feedback.......guarenteed !!! :D

• Members

The best possible thing that he can do, IMO, is get a Peavey with a feedback location system on it. It's a little more expensive but I got a dual 31 band used for $200. He's already into the Behringer for $125. The Peavey actually trains you to hear offending frequencies because while they ring and you are correcting them, it'll show you what that particular frequency is. It lights up over the frequency. It's not tedious because it allows you to cut only that frequency leaving more gain and no feedback. To me, putting a feedback destroyer on an EQ is like putting 2 rain coats on. I'm not trying to be harsh. I guess that it's also a matter of what makes you feel comfortable. I guess that I can understand the need if you are running your own sound also. I'd suggest to try the EQ first and then move to the feedback destroyer if you are not happy with the results.

• Members

Thanks for the info guys. The FBX already got shipped out today, but I will add the EQ to my wishlist on MF.com and pick it up the next purchase I make. I got 30 days to return it anyway, so I could probably get an EQ and try it out by then. If anything, I will get some experience using both.

• Members
Originally posted by KipH

Thanks for the info guys. The FBX already got shipped out today, but I will add the EQ to my wishlist on MF.com and pick it up the next purchase I make. I got 30 days to return it anyway, so I could probably get an EQ and try it out by then. If anything, I will get some experience using both.

The Peavey with the FLS is very handy.

Archived