Passport PD250 blown drivers

• Members

I thought I might pass on my experience with my Passport PD 250. The first use was playing them very loudly for about 2 hours. Both sides blew one of the Bose 3" drivers. It took over 6 weeks to get replacements from Fender. I was not able to get them reconed at a local shop because of the unusual size. Apparently Bose uses a distinct size. Knowing that the drivers were delicate I used the system outdoors for about 6 hours and each side again blew. I was in charge of the volume and never came close to peak volume. I am very disappointed with this kind of reliability. I don't always need the music very loud but sometimes it's appropriate or you don't want to bring the heavy guns. After over 8 weeks, the unit is still in the shop waiting for replacements. Fender has a three year warranty but who cares if you can't use it.

• Members

It's a conveinent little package for sure BUT I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Passport is the Fisher Price of PA. As far as I know there is no limiting on the amp and no speaker protection either. And who would need those features - well, most, if not all, the people that would own one! This product is not designed, nor should it be used for "loud" anything. If the program material has any amount of bass in it, forget it!

My friend uses one as a PA for small juggling shows. In fact, most of his "juggling friends" do to. And that's pretty much what it's meant for.

Sucks that the service is stinky, but come on, just looking at it you can tell it's not meant for any real PA work.

• Members
Originally posted by abzurd

It's a conveinent little package for sure BUT I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Passport is the Fisher Price of PA. As far as I know there is no limiting on the amp and no speaker protection either. And who would need those features - well, most, if not all, the people that would own one! This product is not designed, nor should it be used for "loud" anything. If the program material has any amount of bass in it, forget it!

My friend uses one as a PA for small juggling shows. In fact, most of his "juggling friends" do to. And that's pretty much what it's meant for.

Sucks that the service is stinky, but come on, just looking at it you can tell it's not meant for any real PA work.

That is pretty much it! For about the same money,you could get a decent pair of 12" or 15" 2-way cabs and a small powered mixer. And it would do far better without being too cumbersome. Or that new B-52 setup with the powered sub and amps built in to the sub to power the 10" satellites. I believe they are $599. Then add a small mixer.

• Members

The three piece band I joined has a Fender Passport, which we use for running one vocal mic through at practice. The unit actually belonged to a friend of theirs that abandoned it at the practice space, so I guess you could say they 'inherited' it.

I'll basically echo the sentiments of the above posts. The Fender Passport reminds me of one of those stereos with detachable speakers you can get at Best Buy for $150 or so... the only difference is that the Passport has mic inputs!

Archived