OT: need career advice

• Members

I've seen questions asked on hc forums like this before, so here it goes.

Is it worth taking a job in a city where you know no one because the money is good?

Here's my situation:

24 years old

Electrical engineering degree

$250 car payment (1/2 paid off)

$5k in credit card debt

just got offered $42k/year

I hate living alone (did it for 2 years)

If I sell my car and PA I can stay where I'm at, the problem is the job market where I'm at is dry, and I only have 4 months of experience since I graduated.

To restate the question, If you had a choice between taking a decent job in your field in a new city or making some sacrifices of personal belongings to stay with a great group of people what would you do?

• Members

Originally posted by qtuner

To restate the question, If you had a choice between taking a decent job in your field in a new city or making some sacrifices of personal belongings to stay with a great group of people what would you do?

I'd take the job. I'd never sell my PA :D.

If you want to go, do it. You'll have to do it sometime anyway, unless you plan on staying in your city forever. Can't you just bring your friends with you?

Change is good. But then again, that's just my opinion. Although, it's different if you don't want the job anyway. But what's the point of going to college if you're just going to stay in town doing nothing?

You could always go back...

• Members

Take the job. Too many people get stuck in a rut not wanting to leave their comfortable surroundings. I'm the same way, but I'm slowly getting over it.

Living alone does suck in some ways, but there are good things about it too. For example, nobody complains when I don't do the dishes for 3 weeks at a time or stay up playing guitar until 4 am.

You can always find new friends and new things to do. Besides, your real friends will remain in contact with you even after the move. I still regularly talk/e-mail/IM with a close friend of mine even after we've both moved twice - he's in another time zone now and he's gotten married.

-Dan.

• Members

Sometimes you will need to make a sacrafice to gain marketable experience. If the area you are in is really weak job-wise, you may need to seek employment elsewhere or you never get enough experience to compete with the kids who will graduate next year and the following year etc... and will move.

I'm an EE, but I've got 25 years of experience. I don't have to move anymore, I've got all the work and job offers I can handle. Wasn't always that way, but once I got experience it became that way.

• Members

thanks for the advice. I've been thinking about this for a week, and I'm accepting the offer tomorrow. I actually made the decision before I came back to this thread. It was nice to see that everyone agreed on the same thing.

What was I thinking... sell the PA????? :p

I guess it's time to dig a new rut. What's the best shovel I can get for less than $123.45?

• Members

Originally posted by qtuner

thanks for the advice. I've been thinking about this for a week, and I'm accepting the offer tomorrow. I actually made the decision before I came back to this thread. It was nice to see that everyone agreed on the same thing.

What was I thinking... sell the PA?????
:p

I guess it's time to dig a new rut. What's the best shovel I can get for less than $123.45?

Well, you can get the Behringer knock off for $47.88, but Bose has an ultra-light, ultra-thin model for $35,679.99 :D

-Dan.

• Members

Im currently an electrical engineering major, and enrolled in the music school at FSU. Im doing this with the hopes that I can eventually be a studio engineer. I was just wondering if this is a good route to take for that career and also what it is that you will be doing at your new job. What type of careers do electrical engineers go into?

Thanks

• Members

All kinds of careers... I avoided the computer and digital route since I knew things would be changing so much and so fast that massive continuing education ALL THE TIME would ne necessary to have a competative and long career.

I chose the analog path, with emphesis on control systems and power distribution engineering. It's ironic that the audio work I started as a hobby in college became my career path, and that led to a design career of MI and pro audio products for our industry.

Let your intrests guide you, if you are not interested in what you do, work can easily become a drag. I look forward to whatever project I have on my plate at any time. It's like coming to work to play... and I get paid as well. Keep that in mind is my best advice.

Archived