Need to find 2 22xt drivers...or?

• Members

Wel here's the scenario: I have a small sound company and I'm getting a 2nd rig together (FOH racks and mixers can be swapped, as can amp racks). I have for monitors 4x Peavey 115ti's (similar to the 115TLM) loaded with higher powered woofers (350w RMS, 700w peak) and 2x Peavey 112ti's also with upgraded woofers (300/600).

I'm looking at buying another pair of 112ti's this week. First thing I'm gona do is ditch the crappy woofer for a couple of carvin ps12's I have lying around. I made the mistake or putting Madison Knight 12's in the first pair and I'll prolly end up putting them in as well to keep them all matched.

The problem is the 112ti's I have now don't have the 22xt's, they use some cheapo off brand tweet (beefy one at that) but it's too notchy and hard to control in the 2.5-6k range. The new 112ti's will come with 22xt's which are ok, but I want all 4 speakers to be identical. They are also a little notchy in the same range though not as bad. I have a few options:

Buy 2 22xt drivers for 160 total.

Buy 4 Eminence PDS2002s for 200ish

Buy 2 sounds real close to a 22xt drivers ($?)

Leave it alone (which I can't seem to do)

Unfortunately, the general cost of these ends up being about 160 each (new woofer, neutriks) which is dangerously close to the "might as well have bought something new" scenario.

Any Ideas??

BTW all are being driven by QSC CX502 & RMX1450 amps or Mackie 1200i's, usually nothing over 300w per box.

pete

• Members
Originally posted by Unalaska

Wel here's the scenario: I have a small sound company and I'm getting a 2nd rig together (FOH racks and mixers can be swapped, as can amp racks). I have for monitors 4x Peavey 115ti's (similar to the 115TLM) loaded with higher powered woofers (350w RMS, 700w peak) and 2x Peavey 112ti's also with upgraded woofers (300/600).

I'm looking at buying another pair of 112ti's this week. First thing I'm gona do is ditch the crappy woofer for a couple of carvin ps12's I have lying around. I made the mistake or putting Madison Knight 12's in the first pair and I'll prolly end up putting them in as well to keep them all matched.

The problem is the 112ti's I have now don't have the 22xt's, they use some cheapo off brand tweet (beefy one at that) but it's too notchy and hard to control in the 2.5-6k range. The new 112ti's will come with 22xt's which are ok, but I want all 4 speakers to be identical. They are also a little notchy in the same range though not as bad. I have a few options:

Buy 2 22xt drivers for 160 total.

Buy 4 Eminence PDS2002s for 200ish

Buy 2 sounds real close to a 22xt drivers ($?)

Leave it alone (which I can't seem to do)

Unfortunately, the general cost of these ends up being about 160 each (new woofer, neutriks) which is dangerously close to the "might as well have bought something new" scenario.

Any Ideas??

BTW all are being driven by QSC CX502 & RMX1450 amps or Mackie 1200i's, usually nothing over 300w per box.

pete

Its up to you but I would also add the Selenium 205's to your list. I've used them and the Eminence and I like them both very well for the price,but the 205 seems a little smoother to me.

• Members

I'd stick with the original driver. Small sensitivity differences between different brands can really show up when taming feedback in multiple monitors onstage. Also, that box's crossover will be optimized for the original driver's actual impedence in it's intended frequency range.

• Members

You may want to contact Peavey and ask if its possible to upgrade to the 22RX tweeter. I'm not sure if the price is the same or not. And, it may also require a different crossover. However, it is much improved over the 22XT.

SoundMan

• Members

That's cool. I've heard a lot about the 22rx driver. Since I have 4 22xt's and about get another pair in these 112ti's I'm leaning towards stiking with the 22xt's. My sound system is growing and I'm having to maintain gear right along with it. I just picked up two more bands in my rotation so my sound guy is happy.

What I really need are another set of subs, anothwer monitor amp and another cargo van. I may talk to my brother about buying his old dodge caravan.

Pete

• Members

Ditto on the Selenium 205. I put a pair of these in a set of tired Carvin monitors (15"/1"...not the piezo-drivered ones...older), and they rock. Only about $50 each for a 2" titanium voice coil, 1 " exit driver. See partsexpress.com.

HTH

Slick51

• Members

I used only the madison Knight 15's and 12's. I like the 15's acutally. I did buy the other pair of Peavey 112ti's. So today I did the big test and found out a few things, but first the criteria:

PV112ti: 12" Carvin PS12 + 22XT

PV112ti: 12" Carvin PS12 + NWX4062(?)

PV112ti: 12" Madison Knight + 22xt

PV112ti: 12" Madison Knight + NWX4062

PV115ti: 15" Madison Knight + 22xt

All used the internal crossover (set to 800hz I believe) and powered by a QSC CX502 and an older Mackie 1202. I used an SM58 and a CD player to listen.

The PV with the Carvin PS12 + 22xt is louder by like 2db or so. Much more open than all others except the 15. The combination with the cheap NXW CD was muddy and not as intelligable.

The worst combination was the Madison 12" + NWX CD. Very upper mid heavy and not much distinction all around. Quieter than the Carvin set up. All combinations didn't sound as good as the 115ti.

The Madison 12" + 22xt was decent but not as loud and open. There is definitly a difference in sensitivity here, I'd guess the 12" at about 95db and the other at 97 or so.

The end all is that I need to replace the NWX drivers with 22xt's ASAP. The reason to go with the peaveys is I want 4 identical monitors, even if they aren't the best they can be. Next in line are replacing the madison 12's but I'm not in the hurry I am with the NWX's. So, anyone wanna buy some cheap components??

pete

Archived