Mixer and effects

• Members

Hello there...

In my band, we use a Yamaha MG 16/4 mixer...

It has 2 aux send and 2 aux returns

All the members of the band do backup vocals

I will have a dedicated fx processor for my lead vocals, and they will have another one, different fx than me, but the same to all of them

1- Having only 2 aux, how do i do this?

Use one aux for their fx, and use mine on the insert, leaving the remaining aux do monitors? Or is there some other way to do this?

2 - Is it ok to chain fx's on the insert? i've read that inserts are mostly to be used for compressors and stuff like that...

Thanks

• CMS Author

You have three or more aux's worth of need, but only two available.

You could provide a discrete FX device for each vocal input, and use the inserts for this. That frees the aux's for monitor duty. It's iffy though, since wet/dry mix control depends entirely on the effect's controls. You also will compromise monitoring...effects in the monitor mix will greatly reduce gain before feedback.

The obvious compromise is one channel of fx and one of monitor. This isn't as bad as it seems at all. You really shouldn't go hog wild with effects, esp. for backing vocals, and for a small band in small rooms one monitor mix is certainly better than none.

• Members

Using effects as an insert is tricky. Not that it won't work, but it's difficult to change the amount of effect in the middle of things.

And instead of using the aux return, you can run it back in through an open channel. This is very common, because it gives you a real fader to control the level, and you have control over the sound with the EQ, if you need it. It doesn't give you more aux's though.

Why do you need 2 seperate effects?

And yes, you can run multiple units on one insert or aux. And yes, inserts are usually used for things like compressors and EQ's.

• Members

Well, if you have an open channel, you don't have to use an aux return. Depends on what your needs are I guess.

And something I just thought of. Could you take a direct out from your channel and run it to the effects unit? I've never tried it or anything, but if your direct outs are post fader it might work OK.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by B. Adams

Well, if you have an open channel, you don't have to use an aux return. Depends on what your needs are I guess.

And something I just thought of. Could you take a direct out from your channel and run it to the effects unit? I've never tried it or anything, but if your direct outs are post fader it might work OK.

That mixer doesn't have separate direct outputs.

It might be possible to better control the effects wet/dry mix by using an insert as a direct out and running to the fx unit and then back into a channel strip. The channel strip can control the effects mix to some extent (theres input but no output level control in this sceme).

As to the question of which vocals get the auxiliary, I don't think it really matters.

The real solution is a mixer that exceeds your present needs rather than limits them. This unit clearly isn't going to do what you want. In the same price range a Peavey RQ2318 would give you two effects and two monitor channels. For more money a better solution would be a Mixwiz, with 6 auxiliary sends and two built-in effects processors.

• Members

Couldn't he assign the back-up vocals to one of the "groups" and use the group out to feed the effects processor, then feed the effects out to an open channel? He could also do the same with the lead vocal into the other group, thereby eliminating the need to use the effects in the channel insert.

• Members

Another option (claytons aux send).

Run the FOH mono, pan everything to the left except for your vocals which you centre. The right mains out is now an extra aux out but you will have to juggle the volume between it and the mains with the pan control.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by picker13

Couldn't he assign the back-up vocals to one of the "groups" and use the group out to feed the effects processor, then feed the effects out to an open channel? He could also do the same with the lead vocal into the other group, thereby eliminating the need to use the effects in the channel insert.

Yes, and no. He can use the group for one channel of effects. The two groups are actually a stereo pair. He can't use the pan to separate them, as this would also pan the main stereo output along with it.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but thought it better than starting a new one... given that my Q is essentially the same:

I'm running out of Aux sends on our Soundcraft GB4-32. I was using our Lexicon MX200 dual mono on Auxes 7 & 8 and returning each effected signal to open channels on the mixer. Our violinist went IEM and needed a dedicated monitor mix so there went Aux 7. I'm currently using the MX200 as dual mono, but in series... turning one effect off when I need the other... which is NOT ideal.

Per the last topic in this thread, can I use the Groups on my GB4 (currently unused) as the FX sends? This would get me back to two FX on tap and also free up Aux 8 for another monitor mix... which might come in handy. If yes, how would I connect my MX200 and how would I configure the mixer to best do this?

Thanks in advance...

MMCD

• CMS Author

How so? If I'm just sending to FX and returning the wet signal... explain?

Because aux's have a send level control per channel send, while groups are an on/off from a channel to the group. While you can control the overall group send level to the effects unit, you can't regulate how much of each channel is being sent.

• Members

Ah. But, assuming that I know what I'm doing with the channel input trims for each of my four vocalists (and usually only send just enough of the wet signal to FOH to be heard... and even then usually only when one person is singing) I should be OK, right? I mean, I can't really ruin things... I can always just mute the FX channel strip if it turns to mud, right? Is there a better use for the Groups? Typically, I'm tweaking the horns or drums mixes all night depending on the style of music being played by our band (rock, swing, disco, country, etc.) so it's just not practical to submix them to a group for the entire show.

Archived