Speakon connectors for speakers

• Members
Originally posted by Mr Blues

When I brought my Yamaha Pa loudspeaker I noticed it had Speakon connectors rather then just sraight jack Speakeor connectors.

Is there much diference ?

Dave:)

What are you asking? Ya there's a lot of difference in design.:freak: But both pass the signal along. The Speakon does it better,IMO.

• Members

Hi Tibonehead

Would you say that PA Speakers that have XLR connectors are better at passing the signal along?

These particular Yamaha club series of speakers have either Jack or Speakon but not XLR.

I know Mackie and other speaker do have the XLR option.

Dave

• Members

Hi Tibonehead

Would you say that PA Speakers that have XLR connectors are better at passing the signal along?

These particular Yamaha club series of speakers have either Jack or Speakon but not XLR.

Dave

XLR connectors carry line/mic level signals and would be typical of a POWERED speaker...not passive.

Guest Anonymous

Hi Tibonehead

Dave

Generally, with PA speakers manufactured in the past 10 years or so, XLR connections are reserved for powered speakers.

Speakon connectors seem to be evolving as the industry standard for amp to speaker connections... 1/4" is becoming a dying breed for this application. 1/4" has an inherent problem of a high chance for dead shorting the amp if the connector at the speaker end becomes partially unplugged. If you're buying new cables to hook-up some speakers to an amp, if the amp and speakers are equipped with Speakon jacks, IMO, it's a no-brainer... go with the Speakon cord ends even if 1/4" is an option.

Admittedly, I believe there's still some PA speaker cabinets being manufactured with EP type connectors, and some with even barrier strips, banana plugs, etc... but Speakon seems to be evolving as the defacto standard.

Of-course, if there was actually a standard by which Speakon connectors were wired, that would be a true incremental improvement for civilization. :freak:

But... then my sister wanted a pony too.

• Members

Hi Tibonehead

Dave

Its been years since any passive speakers used XLR's for connections, although I do remember those days. Are you sure you aren't getting passive and active speakers all lumped together?

• Members

If I remember correctly, the Speakon connector was developed to address safety problems with standard jack and xlr connectors.

In some countries the output voltage of high powered amplifiers is high enough to require the same safety standards as mains electricity. With jack and xlr connectors it very easy to accidentally touch the contacts. The Speakon plug and socket both have shrouded contacts to prevent such accidents.

• Members

Thanks Bazz

It feels great plugging it in , it feel solid and safe. Obviously they are bit more expensive then standerd jack speaker leads.

Years ago when I didn't know any better when in had a jack connector on my old speaker I use to use guitar jack to jack leads to connect my amp to my speaker until someone told me always get proper speaker jacks.

I am glad I did as I had less problems.

LOL

Dave

• Members

Originally posted by bazza54

If I remember correctly, the Speakon connector was developed to address safety problems with standard jack and xlr connectors.

In some countries the output voltage of high powered amplifiers is high enough to require the same safety standards as mains electricity. With jack and xlr connectors it very easy to accidentally touch the contacts. The Speakon plug and socket both have shrouded contacts to prevent such accidents.

Yes, this was one reason. Especially with bridged outputs, the barrel of the connector is not at ground potential and can swing as much as 100 volts (peak) above and below ground.

Archived