PA Help. Teach me, scold me, etc.

• Members

First off, I'm not very familiar with ohms and watts and most everything else that I should know in order to adequately choose a decent practice PA. Here is where I need help.

I need a PA system that can handle band practice, small house shows, and small coffee shop-esque gigs. My budget is $400 - 500 which I completely understand is mere pocket change to what I should spend on a nice system. However, a budget is a budget and that's what I have.

Music-wise, this will be used for live electronics (electronic drums, samples, maybe bass), keyboards, and vocals in one band. I simply need something that can handle the electronics at a decent volume and that can be heard over two guitars and a live bass (not the fish). There will be no live drums.

I was considering this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-PowerPod-740DSEM715-PA-System?sku=636503 and have been told that it is pretty much crap. However, if all I can afford is crap and this piece of crap will do what I need it to (even if it is the bare minimum) that is fine.

So please, suggest away and tell me what I need to know.

Thank you in advance.

• CMS Author

First off, I'm not very familiar with ohms and watts and most everything else that I should know in order to adequately choose a decent practice PA. Here is where I need help.

I need a PA system that can handle band practice, small house shows, and small coffee shop-esque gigs. My budget is $400 - 500 which I completely understand is mere pocket change to what I should spend on a nice system. However, a budget is a budget and that's what I have.

Music-wise, this will be used for live electronics (electronic drums, samples, maybe bass), keyboards, and vocals in one band. I simply need something that can handle the electronics at a decent volume and that can be heard over two guitars and a live bass (not the fish). There will be
no
live drums.

I was considering this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-PowerPod-740DSEM715-PA-System?sku=636503
and have been told that it is pretty much crap. However, if all I can afford is crap and this piece of crap will do what I need it to (even if it is the bare minimum) that is fine.

So please, suggest away and tell me what I need to know.

Thank you in advance.

Well, the first thing I see with this is that the power output is 220w per channel *into 4 ohms*. However, the speakers are *8 ohms*. This means when you hook this system up, you'll only get about 110w per channel per speaker. That's not much, and it's assuming the ratings are legit. Phonic isn't the best in the world, but they are an OEM for other brands that are respected, so it may be okay. Still, it's not gonna get very loud at all.

The speakers use piezo tweeters. These are universally crap, and typically make it really hard to adjust EQ to reduce feedback, and sound harsh.

For this low of a budget, look into one Peavey PR-15P powered speaker ($400), and if you need more than three inputs (it's got a little 3ch mixer in back) get a small mixer like a Peavey PV8 ($130).

You'll be over budget, and a bit more for stands and cables if you have none, but that's the breaks. The mixer and speaker are reliable and sound good, and yeah, there's only gonna be one speaker, but when you scratch up another $400 you've got a pretty good little system that will grow with the band, and will keep some value unlike the el-cheapo crap.

• Members

What you are looking at will do fine for coffee houses unless it's a huge coffee house, even at the mfgs rating of 250 watts at 4 ohms and 165 watts at 8 ohms, unless the bass player is throwing a lotta loud.

I would put Phonic overall value along with Carvin, not the best, necessarily, but certainly decent for the price.

It's really simple, IMHO, and contrary to many opinions here, get the best that you can with the money you have. It that happens to be Phonic, Behringer or Kustom, so be it.

The CAVEAT!

If you are going to need to upgrade, or your goal is to do this actively as a professional, you'll need to look at higher quality gear and more expect to spend more money.

• Members

Concerning the Peavey PR-15P powered speakers:

I've checked these out and I think that is what I'd consider getting. If I purchase another one of these later, would I be able, for example, plug a mic into one and chain them together so that the sound would come out of each speaker? I'm assuming so.

Also, would simply one of these be loud enough for practices and house shows?

Sorry, I'm a total newbie to this stuff.

• Members

Concerning the Peavey PR-15P powered speakers:

I've checked these out and I think that is what I'd consider getting. If I purchase another one of these later, would I be able, for example, plug a mic into one and chain them together so that the sound would come out of each speaker? I'm assuming so.

Also, would simply one of these be loud enough for practices and house shows?

Sorry, I'm a total newbie to this stuff.

In addition, what about this powered speaker? I'm looking for something cheaper in hopes to buy two speakers at once.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-PCS15-15-250W-2Way-Powered-Speaker?sku=609015

• CMS Author

And again, just to satisfy my curiosity, would this be anything worth the money>?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-EMX212SBR12-PA-Package?sku=630196

I don't like the BR speakers. For Yamaha, I'd go with Club. You can get these used almost anywhere. They use Eminence drivers which are easy to obtain and relatively inexpensive should you get one DOA or blow it out yourself.

• Members

Should be loud enough for house parties, but that always depends on how loud you let the guitars and drums get. Definitely okay for rehearsal.

I avoid Nady like plague. I've never seen anything from them I'd consider buying.

I don't like the BR speakers. For Yamaha, I'd go with Club. You can get these used almost anywhere. They use Eminence drivers which are easy to obtain and relatively inexpensive should you get one DOA or blow it out yourself.

Thanks a lot, Craig. I'm probably going to go with the Peavey speaker and then get another one later on. Thanks for the help.

• Members

I've never seen anything from them I'd consider buying.

I bought a motorcycle intercom set-up at a yardsale... for like $3. The nephews had fun sitting in a couple of cardboard boxes and playing with it, keeping them completely occupied for... like 3 or 4 hours... while I was sittin the little guys. Well worth the $3 IMO.

Of-course, I couldn't tell you if it was the $3 yardsale intercom set-up that was cool, or the free cardboard boxes... with the "Sharpie" knobs and dials that struck their fancy for the 3 or 4 hours...

eh...

the package deal was well worth the $3 total cost.

They might have been just as impressed with a pile of mud and a stick... I dunno.

• Members

I bought a motorcycle intercom set-up at a yardsale... for like $3. The nephews had fun sitting in a couple of cardboard boxes and playing with it, keeping them completely occupied for... like 3 or 4 hours... while I was sittin the little guys. Well worth the $3 IMO.

Of-course, I couldn't tell you if it was the $3 yardsale intercom set-up that was cool, or the free cardboard boxes... with the "Sharpie" knobs and dials that struck their fancy for the 3 or 4 hours...

eh...

the package deal was well worth the $3 total cost.

They might have been just as impressed with a pile of mud and a stick... I dunno.

Nice to have Mark's anologies back in the mix!

Get one powered speaker and a small mixer for now. Add another later then upgrade the mixer.

or go used for a powered mixer and 2 decent speakers (Sonic, C-V, EV, Yammy clubs, etc.)

• Members

It's hard to tell you what you need, since you didn't say how many channels you need. I'am assuming 5 or more.. For practice/coffeehouse gigs, i'd say you need at least 200-300 watts. MusiciansFriend.com is the no 1 retailer of music gear in the U.S., check them out. Clicking on the link below will take you directly to their Live Sound page, you'll see rows and rows of nice, affordable PA systems ideal for your use. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/live/navigation/packaged-pa-systems-live-sound?N=100001+305335

Archived