Tube Preamp Help!?

• Members

Hello everyone!

I've decided to use some of my tax refund to sweeten up the tone of my Line 6 Duoverb guitar amp. My initial thoughts have been to incorporate some sort of tube preamp into my rig, either by throwing it into the stereo effects loop or running it into the front input of the amp. The two units I've been considering are the ART Tube MP Studio and the Electro-Harmonix LPB 2ube. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

• Members

I used an ART TUBE Preamp but its a completly different unit, with dual 12AX7 tubes in my recording studio, I have ran my guitar through it as well, but in terms of using it in the studio and using it for live production thats two completly different things, I can say though that their isnt much of a significant difference of color using it for studio applications. I beleive I used it once live and I just didint find it to have enough headroom to do the Job i wanted. It is versatile and works well for various different things, but again I see no significance in colour for my guitar rig.

hopefully that may give u some insight at all? ?

• Members

solomaniac17,

That's given me quite a bit of insight actually. As of yesterday I decided to put my amp up for sale so I can afford a tube amp. I'm looking at the discontinued Gibson Super Goldtone line (GA-60RV or GA-30RV.) Hopefully I won't have to go the Ebay route to sell mine, but that may be the eventual outcome. Thanks for the tips!

Daniel

• Members

Most modelers do not emulate the power amp tubes which is where the TONE is, not the preamp. If you want the sound of a tube guitar amp, either get a Vox Valvetronix (which DOES have a tube power amp) or a real tube guitar amp. The folks in the guitar forums can give you more info.

Archived