Two 1x18's vs. One 2x18

• Members

I am looking to add a sub or two to my PA. We play small bars up to 350 person rooms. I'm planning to put the bass player, kick drum, and possbily low end on the keys through the sub. I'm trying to decide whether I want to go with a 2x18 and just drag it everywhere or go with two 1x18's and take one for smaller rooms and both for the bigger places. I'm considering it from both a volume perspective and a sound perspective. The 2x18 is also attractive because of less expense buying one box rather than two.

Any input? I've been looking at used Mpro's and Yorkville's as well as new MRX. Right now I would probably go up to around $800 +/- for a 2x18 and $450 +/- for a 1x18 probably getting one now and another in the not too distant future.

To drive it/them, I have one side of a QSC 2450 and both sides of an 1850 which I could also bridge if needed. I would prefer passive subs for weight purposes and also because I don't wanbt to pay for amps I don't need. I have a DRPA so I don't need a crossover.

• Members

2 x 118's is my preference for the reasons you mention.

For what you are looking at, 600 watts per box or so is plenty good. one side of a 2450 is fine. Beware that the stock MP-418 is a 4 ohm driver, so briding with anything is not viable. One speaker per channel on the 1850 or both speakers on one channel of the 2450 is fine.

If you go with the 8 ohm loads, parallel would be 4 ohms and you could bridge the 1850, but you may find that the 2 boxes on the 2450 channel to be just fine as well as one box per channel on the 1850.

• Members

I went with single 18 (Mpro418) subs and I (and my bandmates) and lugg them without assistance. I have four, and we typically use all four, but find the singles easier to move. We have also used just one per side in very small (for us) rooms and that has worked well too.

• Members

For large systems, where stage hands are available and the situation is geared for larger productions, the 218 cabinets (and larger) can be more convenient and cheaper per dB of total output. For smaller venues, the smaller form factor wnd lighter weight per unit can be a big plus when menuvering in tight spaces and up stairs.

Archived