is there an ideal ratio of FOH power to monitor power?

• Members

The formula for how much power to give a particular driver is generally agreed upon as 2X RMS power.

I would not say that there is a general formula for FOH vs. monitor power. It all depends on what type of drivers, how many drivers, etc.

• Members

The formula for how much power to give a particular driver is generally agreed upon as 2X RMS power.

I would not say that there is a general formula for FOH vs. monitor power. It all depends on what type of drivers, how many drivers, etc.

The formula of 2X RMS is brought up on almost a daily basis on this forum and have not seen the most learned ones here advocate it.You might search around here for more info.It is pretty interesting reading.

• Members

Great, thanks for the info. I was just wondering if, as FOH power increases, monitor power would have to increase with it? But from what most of you are saying they aren't related. I guess its because once the monitors are at a nice level for the musicians on stage, it wouldn't need to change, right?

• Members

Great, thanks for the info. I was just wondering if, as FOH power increases, monitor power would have to increase with it? But from what most of you are saying they aren't related. I guess its because once the monitors are at a nice level for the musicians on stage, it wouldn't need to change, right?

Mains level VS. Mon level really isn't related. If you add a set of FOH stacks to each side that doesn't mean you have to double up on the monitors. You only need monitors that will handle the levels that you need for a band. I prefer to overkill on the power and quality of the speakers for the "just in case I need more" scenario.

I did sound for one band that only wanted 1 monitor on the stage for the singer. i was running 2 full stacks on each side of the stage for that gig because it was a big room. I've also done gigs where I used only one stack because it was a fairly small place but still had a monitor for each of the 4 guys because they all sang.

Archived