Buying new gear

• Members

I'm currently using a 14 year old peavy PA and I am going to upgrade. The only problem is I'm a singer, not an engineer. I want to get a mixer, amp rack effects, and rack compressor. I also want to dump my 15 inch cabinets and replace them with 10's or 12's with a sub... here's my wish list, but I don't know how it all hooks up:

Allen & Heath ZED 14 mixer

TC M350 effects processor

TC C400xl Compressor

qsc gx5 amp

My question is how do I hook all this crap up? Am I overdoing it? I know I sound like a retard, but I'd rather sound stupid than spend a fortune and sound terrible.

Also it's for an acoustic duo, and will probably not be adding additional musicians... probably.

• CMS Author

The comp can be inserted to the two channels you want to compress. You'll need two insert cables, which are like a y-cable...the TRS (3 contact) plug goes into the mixer channel insert, and the other two ends go to the effects input and outputs.

I'm concerned that you're in the same boat as the tama drummer guy in that compression thread who doesn't understand compression. If you don't, speak now or forever hold your peace...I'm not going 4 pages into a thread trying to dig info from you.

The effects unit is driven by the two post-fader aux sends, 3 & 4, and returned via the two returns. Settings should be per the effects owners manual, but in general, keep the aux send levels so the effects unit doesn't show clipping on loud passages, and keep the effect fully "wet" (maximum effect mixed into the signal). Adjust the return level so there's barely noticable effect in the mix, then back it down a bit from there.....less is more.

The main out(s) go to the amp. Speaker cables to the speakers. That's the basics to get started. Read the manuals...keep 'em in the John for good reading material....I've learned a lot in the Dumper...:rolleyes:;):lol:

• Members

As a non-techie vocalist, you may want to keep the PA really simple (so things don't go wrong), which will also let you stay focused on your artistry (which is what the audience appreciates most anyhow!).

Here's one set of suggestions:

Mixer: A&H mixers are great, mine has built in effects, just fine for vocals.

Powered mains: JBL PRX512 perhaps. Good value, good sound, light weight.

Powered subs: JBL PRX518. Likely one per main.

Powered speakers are quite simple, easy to get sounding good, and harder to make mistakes with.

That's it, assuming you already have good microphones.

Wait on compressors and outboard effects. With quality basics, you may find that it sounds just fine without! An equalizer is probably the first piece of outboard gear recommended, but again, start with the basics and add as you see a need. I have EQ's that hardly move from flat, since the rest of the system is quite fine!

Cheers

• Members

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try to answer all the questions you've got here...

RoadRanger ... The PA I have is a Peavey head (I've forgotten the power rating on it) it has a 13 channel eq and spring reverb. It also has the H M L eq on each of the 8 channels. It runs 2 Peavey 15" 2 ways, which don't sound half bad. This head has always had high pitch squeal issues... every gig was a fight to find the right balance, but overall it has been reliable. The reason I feel I need to upgrade the PA is I recently got the Harmony G and it has magnified that high pitch squeel problem... which take me to the compressor

Craigv... yuo've got me pegged... I don't know crap about the compressors... I understand the effects loop, and how that works, and obviously the amp to speakers, but I can't figure how to hook up the comp (pre or post fade) I assumed it would be pre fade, but what do I know... I've been out of music for about 9 years, and all the technology is beyoind me... I just want a good sound. I was worried that I'd be using all the sends and have problems monitoring... but now I see how it works using the insert...thanks

As for powered speakers... I hate any product with more than 1 function... not just in music, but in general... I'd rather have a seperate washer & dryer... so when the dryer craps out I don't have to buy a washer too... I wouldn't trust powered speakers for that reason... not to say they don't work great, I'm just old fassioned, and hate spending $ twice.

Thanks for the info and advice... I feel much better about my plans now... at least I won't be maxing out the mixer I wanted.

• Members

What vocal mic(s) are you using? A bigger PA or compressor are gonna make the squealing (feedback) worse :eek:! If you don't have separate monitors you shouldn't be using effects on the vocals unless you're doing the song "Squeal Like a Pig" or somethin' :lol:. With separate monitors you'd normally have the effects only in the mains.

• Members

I'm using sure sm58, pg58 and audio technica old ass mic... (it's my guitar player's). We are using a powered crate 12 inch wedge monitor, so the PA setup shouldn't be too much of an issue... I actually get more fedback from the sm58 than the pg58, which I bought as a cheapo spare... who knew.

• Members

Depending on where you actually purchased your mics, I would almost recommend starting with a good microphone from a reputable dealer. There are many counterfeit Shure mics out there and some old AT mics are not any better. A genuine SM58 is a good mic. Try adjusting the high and mid settings for your mic channel down a bit to help reduce feedback. The 13 band eq for the mains will also help in this category. Compression and effects will only cause more feedback. I would start by running your vocals without effects and try and reduce the feedback with the channel and main EQ's.

Archived