Powered Mixer into Powered Speakers

• Members

Guys, just double checking that I have this right. I am going to bring one of my JBL PRX 512s out to practice tonight so the band can hear them. We have this Carvin mixer ((http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...=RX1200&cid=12)) A couple questions....

1) The PRX will hook up by XLR into either the right or left XLR outputs (numbers 14 and 15), correct?

2) Also, how should I adjust the gain on the PRX? I have used them at home for jamming with friends and plugged the mic directly into them. I received some feedback when the gain was turned up to high, but this could also have something to do with mic placement.

3) I'm sort of trying to sell the band on using these. Do you think it would be worth hauling out another one for practice? It would mean another trip to my car, but they're not real heavy so it's not a huge deal. If I do bring out a second one I assume I just run another XLR cable from the first PRX to the second PRX.

Thanks for the input.

EDIT: Well it looks like practice has been canceled for tonight, but I'd still like the info as I will save for future reference. Nothing like another gig without a practice!!

• Members
Guys, just double checking that I have this right. I am going to bring one of my JBL PRX 512s out to practice tonight so the band can hear them. We have this Carvin mixer ((
)) A couple questions....

1) The PRX will hook up by XLR into either the right or left XLR outputs (numbers 14 and 15), correct?

2) Also, how should I adjust the gain on the PRX? I have used them at home for jamming with friends and plugged the mic directly into them. I received some feedback when the gain was turned up to high, but this could also have something to do with mic placement.

3) I'm sort of trying to sell the band on using these. Do you think it would be worth hauling out another one for practice? It would mean another trip to my car, but they're not real heavy so it's not a huge deal. If I do bring out a second one I assume I just run another XLR cable from the first PRX to the second PRX.

Thanks for the input.

EDIT: Well it looks like practice has been canceled for tonight, but I'd still like the info as I will save for future reference. Nothing like another gig without a practice!!

your title is backwards.... hopefully.

• Members

You need to run a line (XLR or 1/4") from an OUTPUT on the MIXER to the INPUT of the SPEAKER.

Your title is backwards.

Also, you reference "numbers 14 and 15" which sound to me like channels on the mixer. If so, you're definitely not connecting speakers to those.

The mixer outputs would usually be the LEFT/RIGHT Main or Monitor outs, or AUX Sends or Sub-group output.

I'd bring both speakers, and ideally, you can just swap yours with the ones that are currently hooked up.

• Members

You need to run a line (XLR or 1/4") from an OUTPUT on the MIXER to the INPUT of the SPEAKER.

Your title is backwards.

Also, you reference "numbers 14 and 15" which sound to me like channels on the mixer. If so, you're definitely not connecting speakers to those.

The mixer outputs would usually be the LEFT/RIGHT Main or Monitor outs, or AUX Sends or Sub-group output.

I'd bring both speakers, and ideally, you can just swap yours with the ones that are currently hooked up.

Sorry, I think you were referencing numbers 14 and 15 on the spec sheet for your mixer:

14. LEFT & RIGHT XLR OUTPUTS

15. MONITOR 1 & 2 OUTPUTS

You have it right, you want to be connecting to those. If you connect to the MONITOR outs, you'll need to route signal to them from the individual channel monitor sends.

• Members

Sorry, I think you were referencing numbers 14 and 15 on the spec sheet for your mixer:

14. LEFT & RIGHT XLR OUTPUTS

15. MONITOR 1 & 2 OUTPUTS

You have it right, you want to be connecting to those. If you connect to the MONITOR outs, you'll need to route signal to them from the individual channel monitor sends.

Thanks. I think those are the only XLR outputs on the mixer.

In regards to the title being backwards... I'm going as I learn.

• CMS Author

Regarding how to set up the gain; there's no set method, but the basic idea is to not clip the power amps with too hot a mixer output, and not clip the mixer.

One method is to run the amps wide open, and adjust the mixer to the desired *maximum* performance volume. Check the amp for clipping, and reduce its gain if there is any clipping. The mixer shouldn't be clipping at this point either. If it is, back off the mixer output, and make up the gain at the amp. Ideally you should be able to get desired volume without clipping. If everything's okay, reduce volume to normal performance level using the mixer main faders. Rock on.

Archived