Are these wireless systems any good?

• Members

Been casually looking for some used wireless mics, and wireless guitar systems.

Came across these 2 fairly close to home. I have NO clue about wireless anything, but I am wanting to learn.

Shure T4A system. $150

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-other-Shure-Performance-Wireless-System-T4A-W0QQAdIdZ177808298

Shure PG14 $200

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-Shure-PG14-UHF-Wireless-Guitar-System-W0QQAdIdZ181637885

Are these any good??

Ps when is the search gonna work?

• Members

I use a Shure PG14 wireless guitar system and it works great. You have the ability to sync to (I think) 5 different channels. This really helps avoid multiple wireless signal inference like the older Shure UHF's. For the money I it's a good deal.

• Members

I am very pleased with my Line 6 XDR system. Since it's digital, it doesn't have the issues of companding the signal.

My only gripe is that I can only get about 5-6 sets on one 9v battery.

My bass player has a similar system in a floor-pedal version. He is also very happy with that unit.

mike

• Members

I never would recommend either of those units for wireless mics, I think they sound awful, for guitar they do OK. I'd recommend the line6 digital wireless, esp for guitar since there is no companding that analog units need to maximize headroom.

• Members

The eating 9V thing bugs me too. But it is digital and it is transmitting a LOT of 0's. I had an Sennhieser digital unit and it did the same. 4 channels but it did drop out a little and did eat batteries. I chose the ATW2000 series since it matches all the wireless mics I own too. Any mic/transmitter any reciever. 10 channels and it will scan for less used channels. 10hr life on kirkland batteries (about 22cents ea x2). It's cost effective and works well. Only gripe is I have to buy a new 1/4 to TA4F cable ever 6 months because the 1/4" shorts out. And the insulation is not hobby friendly, it doesn't solder well at all. $20 a cable, screw you AT! take my money like that...

• Members

The eating 9V thing bugs me too. But it is digital and it is transmitting a LOT of 0's. I had an Sennhieser digital unit and it did the same. 4 channels but it did drop out a little and did eat batteries. I chose the ATW2000 series since it matches all the wireless mics I own too. Any mic/transmitter any reciever. 10 channels and it will scan for less used channels. 10hr life on kirkland batteries (about 22cents ea x2). It's cost effective and works well. Only gripe is I have to buy a new 1/4 to TA4F cable ever 6 months because the 1/4" shorts out. And the insulation is not hobby friendly, it doesn't solder well at all. $20 a cable, screw you AT! take my money like that...

If this is an AT cable, it's not a TA4F cable. It's an HI-4 cable and the connector is a lot more expensive.

If you need some of these cables, I have the real commercial duty HI-4 guitar cables in stock for less than $20.

Archived