K.D. Lang; Hallelujah

• Members

Yea, she rocked. It actually sounded live (at least her vocal). Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't but it was still a great performance. Most of the other stuff wasn't, but that's par for the course.

A decade or two ago, in that same stadium, I was with a group that was going to sing the National Anthem before a football game. We "had" to pre-record the whole thing because the delay there is incredible.

I've also played a couple of small shows there and did not enjoy it at all (sound wise).

Over all, knowing that stadium, the sound was pretty good - at least the TV feed.

• Members

I thought that the folks that handles all the rigging did a fabulous job. The complexity of multiple moving points was really intense. I can't wait to see how they configured things in one of the staging trad mags. I'm sure it was show control due to the speed and distance covered by some ofthe performanrs, but the paths must be configured to avoid any possibility of interference and also as a precaution against any failed element shutting the show down. There are so many potential failure points.

I thought they handled the audio very well, it was quite an ambitous show.

The other thing that I want to know more about is how they handled the lighting for the floor. I THINK it was a combination of moving lights, multiple prokection but there had to be an element of lighting within the floor itself due to the lack of shadows on the video elements. Could that have been a diffused LED display floor with addressable pixel video capability? Never seen one even close to that size before, but with the budgets involved, this is how technology advances.

• Members

Andy, you raise a good point about the floor lighting. I missed the actual live coverage, but saw partial replays, and was blown away. One scene in particular, was the whale swimming under-water. Wow!

Yes, and the appearance of 3D made it very difficult to determine how it was acomplished... and without shadows from the performers. Couldn't have been back projected because of the short throw and shadows from the deck's structure below.

I really want to know ;)

• Members

there were a few shadows in a few camera angles that i saw.. the timing of the 3d whale effect was perfectly timed with the video and the lighting from the sides on the floor (you could see them coming on and off) and the mapping of the pixels+the movement they had to make and stay off other pieces was amazing. cant wait for next months trade magazines to roll in

• Members

I thought the Aurora Borealis effect looked rather spectacular as well. It looked incredibly realistic. I've had the good fortune to see the real thing from the North-West Territory/northern Manitoba border, and the experience is truly hypnotic. Dancing curtains of multi-coloured light.

I can just imagine Tommy Chong (Cheech & Chong) standing there, and saying,,,," Ohh Wowww mmmannnn" :)

• Members

Yes, and the appearance of 3D made it very difficult to determine how it was acomplished... and without shadows from the performers. Couldn't have been back projected because of the short throw and shadows from the deck's structure below.

I really want to know
;)

My guess is overlapping coverage from a multiple fixtures.

Could that have been a diffused LED display floor with addressable pixel video capability? Never seen one even close to that size before, but with the budgets involved, this is how technology advances.

Doubt it. Googling "largest led screen" turns up a bunch of big screens in the $20M range - all smaller than that floor. The whole budget of this show was only $30-40M. Besides, there was fake snow covering the entire floor.

-Dan.

• Members

I thought about the snow, but the brightness of the LEDs would blow through the snow effect and give that diffuse look.

The LED floor doesn't sound all that likely but then again it's the Olympics. I didn't see any seams or and obvious blocks of staging either.

• Members

I'm banking on a combination of LED and projection.

Some performances were definitely tracks, some of it was painfully obvious. I was very impressed with the production, I wonder if someone got reamed out over that last pillar not going up.

Or congratulated that everything else worked? The fact that so few problems happened was remarkable in itself.

• Members

Olympic Winter Games opening ceromony;

Anybody see K.D. Lang sing Hellelujah? Oh my good Lord,,,,, has this gal got heart, and a set of pipes..........infriggincredible.

Did not see it, unfortunately. But have seen kd live signing that song and it still gives me chills to think about it. She's pretty amazing.

Archived