iPad mixing and Line 6 Wireless

• Members

I do a show regularly that uses 3 wireless line 6 microphones - I think they are XDV70. I pretty much mix wirelessly using and iPad and a Presonus mixer (now also a Mackie DL1608). At the very first gig I had trouble with the iPad to mixer connection dropping out - the easy fix was to switch my router to 5GHz.

The down sided of using 5GHz is that iphones can't see it (this is also a good thing!). So allowing artists to control their own foldback mix with using an iPhone is not possible.

I had to buy a new router today (because the old one did not have a Lan port to connect to the Mackie) and by default it does simultaneous 2.4 and 5 GHz (old one could only do one or the other).

Any predictions on what will happen when I do the next show with the Line 6 microphones or advice from those having already been there.

Thanks

• Members

Art Flood wrote:

I do a show regularly that uses 3 wireless line 6 microphones - I think they are XDV70. I pretty much mix wirelessly using and iPad and a Presonus mixer (now also a Mackie DL1608). At the very first gig I had trouble with the iPad to mixer connection dropping out - the easy fix was to switch my router to 5GHz.

The down sided of using 5GHz is that iphones can't see it (this is also a good thing!). So allowing artists to control their own foldback mix with using an iPhone is not possible.

I had to buy a new router today (because the old one did not have a Lan port to connect to the Mackie) and by default it does simultaneous 2.4 and 5 GHz (old one could only do one or the other).

Any predictions on what will happen when I do the next show with the Line 6 microphones or advice from those having already been there.

Thanks

Which specific router did you get?

It is my understanding that the simultaneous dual band routers perform this trick by actually having 2 networks bridged together.  If this is the case, it may cause some complications with the mixer.

The Line6 microphones use (from what I can see) a redundent multi-channel digital transfer in the 802.11 spectrum.  It appears they have a proprietary frequency channel (RF1) and a standard 802.11 channel set (RF2).

The frequency channels that are used in the US are not the same as Europe, and I think that Asia Pacific has yet another standard for this (although there are some channels that overlapp).

A channel is a small frequency band within the main frequency.  Although 802.11b is a 2.4Ghz transfer, there are multiple channels surrounding the center point of 2.4Ghz (see here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11).

What Line 6 is doing is fairly robust, but the 2.4Ghz band is certainly getting crowded more and more.  There are only so many clever engineering tricks one can do before reality busts through and ruins your day ;)

Don Boomer should be able to give much more specific information should he choose to chime in on the microphones.

• Members

I suspect Line6 is privately *bleep*in' bricks since the rise in popularity of wireless mixing. The good news is that all new Apple iOS devices now support 5GHz. I was using 5GHz yesterday 100+ feet out with slight problems - if I had positioned the router more intellegently I would have been fine, the last act had a double full stack between me and the router and I had to hold the iPad Mini just right to be connected freak.gif.

• Members

Hey Art

You need to update your units so they can run in RF2 mode. That way you can assign channels that won't get in each others way. It's a free update but it requires using a v75 receiver as it has a USB port and acts as the interface.

Archived