The latest Chinese "virtual ground" technology!

• Members

nchangin wrote:

Was this a recent acquisition RR? heh aint seen one of those yet.

I also have a couple Chinese LED floodlight fixtures ($17 120 degree wash lights, woo!) that have a three wire cord, aluminum case, and the ground isn't actually connected to the case facepalm.gif. You sure can get stuff cheap shipped direct to you from China - and as an added bonus it doesn't have to meet any of our silly safety standards freak.gif.

• Members

For the record, depending on how this cable is wired, it could be much more dangerous than a ground lift adapter. If the ground plug in the IEC side is tied to neutral and the two prong side is inserted into an outlet with Neutral/Hot swapped (not usually a huge problem), this could energize the exposed metal parts of the equipment leading to an electrocution hazard. I would cut that cable in half and trash it immediately.

• Members

The given device shipped from the factory with an unpolarized two conductor plug.. My preference is a hot-switched polarized connection with an earth grounded chassis, but reverting back to the factory scheme is not particularly dangerous IMHO.

• Members

wesg wrote:

The given device shipped from the factory with an unpolarized two conductor plug.. My preference is a hot-switched polarized connection with an earth grounded chassis, but reverting back to the factory scheme is not particularly dangerous IMHO.

In what year?   That method isn't safe by any reasonable modern safety standards (and has even lead to some unfortunate fatalities)

• Members

1967. And given the number of organs Hammond shipped without electrocuting anybody (that I'm aware of), I'm not overly worried about the way the factory did these -- even though I change it during a rebuild.

Archived