Yamaha SW118 cabs

• Members

I now find myself in posession of 3 Yamaha SW118 cabs. One is unloaded, one has a blown driver and one seems to be working (although the cone seems very "loose". The two loaded cabs came to me as a set so can I assume since one has already given up that the other might be on it's last legs as well?  I'd like to recone the stock drivers (Jay 7010's).  Does anyone have any experience with the Mackenzie recone kits ($65) that are out there?

• Members

As a former owner of 4 of these boxes I would first ask you what you expectations are of these boxes before you put any money or time into them. The only reason I ask is because to be very frank they are an extremely underwhelming box and there are much better boxes out there in the used market. ie JBL sr etc etc no preference. I actually had replaced the drivers in mine with a much higher end B&C driver. While the box did sound quite a bit better that was $800 I could have got into a better box. I ended up with 4 PRX XLF's and have a want for 4 more. Just an opinion from the peanut gallery. 

I have no experience with the kit you are asking about. When I have dealt with coning in the past I always insisted on the OEM kit. 

JG

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

I might have 1 or 2 factory kits, and maybe a driver. I can't ever recommend an aftermarket kit without having personal experience with it, most are terrible.

I think at one time you had some OEM Omega Pros that you thought would work well in these cabs?

Archived